turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smullen

My ordinary business loss on my K-1 is not showing up on my federal return - why not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

My ordinary business loss on my K-1 is not showing up on my federal return - why not?

That happens when you got to the K-1 entry screen Did You Participate? Did you materially participate in this activity?  you clicked the No button (there is a Learn More link there that explains about material participation). That makes the income passive and it then goes to Form 8582 and is handled there. If any of the passive loss cannot be used it is carried over to the subsequent year for you by TT.

If you did materially participate then just edit the K-1 again and change your answer to Yes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That happens when you got to the K-1 entry screen Did You Participate? Did you materially participate in this activity?  you clicked the No button (there is a Learn More link there that explains about material participation). That makes the income passive and it then goes to Form 8582 and is handled there. If any of the passive loss cannot be used it is carried over to the subsequent year for you by TT.

If you did materially participate then just edit the K-1 again and change your answer to Yes.

LLangenbrunner
Returning Member

I was playing with my K-1 entries.  I said I was limited passive partner and as expected, my taxes owed when way up because it zeroed out my loss.  But then when I went back and said I was an active general manager, the loss stayed zeroed out and taxes stayed high.

I could not return to my baseline return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@LLangenbrunner You may need to delete your K-1 entry and start it over. Sometimes when you change things and then change them back, the program may not process the reverse change properly.

A simple way to delete forms in TurboTax online is to use the Tax Tools menu option, which is on your left menu bar when you are working in your program. Then, choose Tools and then Delete a form. Search for the K-1 form in question and use the delete option to remove it.

If you are working in the download TurboTax program, use the Forms Mode on your menu bar to bring up the form you want to delete, then choose the Delete Form option at the bottom of the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LLangenbrunner
Returning Member

Thanks for your tip.  I deleted my K-1 form 3-4 times and tried various ways on answering the questions and it still will not register my rental loss.  It shows zero benefit in the income section.  I don't understand.  The first time I added it, it worked fine. 

DO I need to completely restart my tax return over again?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Re-booting never hurts.  But have you reviewed Schedule E that reports rental income?

In TurboTax Desktop, view the schedule under Forms in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

In TurboTax online, view the schedule at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

You should find the entry on Page 2 under Part II.  Is the K-1 listed under line 28?  Is the 'at-risk' question checked under line 28f?

Is there income or a $0 somewhere in boxes 28g, 28h, 28i, 28j or 28k?

The entry here gives us an idea whether at-risk, basis or other issues are restricting the reporting of the loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies