turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ti447

I already filled out a federal tax return with another online service. How do I only submit a state tax return with Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I already filled out a federal tax return with another online service. How do I only submit a state tax return with Turbo Tax?

You can't. State cannot be done separately from federal using TurboTax. You would have to prepare the federal return exactly as it was prepared when you filed it with the other service in order for the information to flow to the state return. Why are you not using the same service you used to prepare your federal return?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can't. State cannot be done separately from federal using TurboTax. You would have to prepare the federal return exactly as it was prepared when you filed it with the other service in order for the information to flow to the state return. Why are you not using the same service you used to prepare your federal return?

ti447

Thanks! I ideally wanted to use the other service but my payments for the state return charges keep encountering issues with them. So it would be alright for me to file my federal a second time, this time through TurboTax, just so I can submit a state return through TT as well?

You can't file a second federal return. You should be able to choose to print and mail your return and then don't mail the federal return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies