turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

n0mudd01

I just filed my tax return but I forgot to enter 1099G state income tax refunds from 2015

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I just filed my tax return but I forgot to enter 1099G state income tax refunds from 2015

If you did not itemize deductions last year, you do not need to report your refund.

If you used TurboTax free last year, and filed a 1040EZ or 1040A, you did not itemize, you took the standard deduction, and you do not need to amend your 2016 tax return.

If you did itemize deductions on your tax year 2015 return and claimed the state income tax (schedule A line 5 a)  you may need to.

TurboTax can help you file a 1040X, amended return.

Click below for specific amending instructions for one of the following tax years:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

11 Replies
n0mudd01

My e-file is still in progress but can I make this correction now?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If it is in progress you haven't filed yet, so yes, you can make a change.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-3 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online...>
n0mudd01

Ok Thanks. I will wait.

"In Progress" means that you have started your return, but have not yet completed it.  If that is indeed where you are in the system then you can fix what you need to fix and then submit the return for filing.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you did not itemize deductions last year, you do not need to report your refund.

If you used TurboTax free last year, and filed a 1040EZ or 1040A, you did not itemize, you took the standard deduction, and you do not need to amend your 2016 tax return.

If you did itemize deductions on your tax year 2015 return and claimed the state income tax (schedule A line 5 a)  you may need to.

TurboTax can help you file a 1040X, amended return.

Click below for specific amending instructions for one of the following tax years:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

n0mudd01

I used Sprintax software last year to file 1040NR-EZ?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Then it is possible that you itemized. You may need to amend your 2016 tax return. I have included amended instructions above.
n0mudd01

thanks a lot
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If it is progress, does that mean you have not efiled yet?
n0mudd01

no it is e-filed!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies