turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mannaserv

Amending a return, Federal tax due does not go to zero?

I am attempting to amend my 2016 return, but when I select amend, the Federal Tax Due drops significantly (from $6844 owed to $1540 owed) but does not go to zero.  I feel like I may not be starting from the right baseline if I don't start from zero, since I already paid my taxes.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Ignore the refund/bal due meter when amending ... the amount you paid with the original return will be applied at the end of the interview ... 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received. If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it. If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

mannaserv

Thank you for that answer.  I think I have figured out where the problem lies.  I had failed to include the Premium Tax Credit with the original filing, and amended it.  The amount of tax I owed was $1540.  So that is why it shows that owed before I begin this amendment.  Is there a way to tell the program that I paid that $1540, or do an amendment to the amended file?  Would like that number to be 0 when I start this amendment, as I paid the original tax owed when filing, and then paid the $1540 when I amended.

Follow the interview ... it will ask you the amount paid with the original return ... if you don't see that then switch to the FORMS mode and enter it yourself on line 16 of the 1040X and PLEASE ignore the refund meter... when you amend it doesn't mean anything.

I'm trying to amend my 2017 return for a second time. In the first amended return, I got a refund of $360. I deleted the 1040X form from the first amended return, and the refund monitor increased by $360. I saved the file and closed TurboTax. Then I reopened TurboTax, clicked the amend return button and selected the file I just saved. I made the new changes, but the 1040X was blank. I would have to fill it in manually. TurboTax seems to understand it's an amended return, but it's not giving me a new 1040X. Any suggestions?

The  second amendment column A must be the figures from the first amendment column C ... review this carefully and ignore the refund meter as it can be confusing ... only look at the 1040X.

Manage cookies