turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report an inventory for a clothing company where I purchase blank shirts, design & screen print designs on them, package & sell them in my own retail store?

I have a business where I purchase blank shirts, design and screen print the designs on them and then sell them online. (All of this is done by only me).

Can the shirts be considered supplies (along with the ink) and do I have to report an inventory or can I write off the cost of the shirts in supplies and my retail sales as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I need to report an inventory for a clothing company where I purchase blank shirts, design & screen print designs on them, package & sell them in my own retail store?

Technically, No you don't have to maintain an inventory.  However, if don't maintain an inventory, your method of accounting must clearly reflect income and expenses.  This would mean

Treating inventory as non-incidental material or supplies.

If you account for inventories as materials and supplies that are not incidental, you deduct the amounts paid to acquire or produce the inventoriable items treated as materials and supplies in the year in which they are first used or consumed in your operations. 

Basically, you would treat your shirts as supplies; but, you can't deduct the full amount paid for the shirts if you have an amount of shirts left at the end of the year.  You would reduce your "supplies" by the amount paid for the shirts left at the end of the year.  In effect, an inventory.

I think an inventory would be easier to maintain and keep track of.

Beginning inventory    100 shirts              $1,000

Purchased                   300 shirts              $3,000

Goods available                                         $4,000
Ending inventory          150 shirts             ($1,500)

Cost of Sales                                             $2,500

See the IRS link for Publication 334

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies