turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AriannaJ97
Returning Member

Taxes

This my first year filing taxes, so I have a couple questions. 1. Does the federal or CA refund comes first and 2. When the CA one comes does it usually be the amount that was expected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Taxes

The federal and state refunds are processed and issued by 2 different taxing authorities and are sent separately.  If either refund is not what you expected ( either more or less ) then a letter of explanation will come in the mail in a couple of weeks ... until you get that notice you may not know what they changed. 

Taxes

I think most state refunds are coming first this year.  The IRS is taking longer due to Covid-19.  I got my California refund about 2 weeks before federal.  

AriannaJ97
Returning Member

Taxes

@VolvoGirl Is the amount different from what you was expecting

Taxes

No.  It was the right amount.  But it is possible for the IRS or state to find something wrong and adjust your return.  Or keep some of your refund for something you owe.   Did you get a refund for a different amount then you were expecting?  From who?  If it's for more the IRS has been adding interest to your refund.

AriannaJ97
Returning Member

Taxes

@VolvoGirl  I got a deposit from something that says "Franchise Tax BD casttaxrfd" and the deposit was less than I expected

Taxes

The FTB Franchise Tax Board is the California Refund.  They will send you a letter saying what the changed.  Did you check your actual CA 540 return line 115?

I would check over your return and see if you can see anything wrong especially in the payments section.  Make sure you agree with all the amounts listed.   Like is the difference the same or close to the refund you got last year?  Maybe you put down that you applied last year's refund to this year?  Or you put down you made a payment with an extension or paid an estimated payment that you didn't make?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies