Stephdogg241

Tax expert error

My tax expert filed my taxes saying I said I never received  stimulus checks which I told her I did. Now the federal is saying I owe them thousands more. How do I fix this?

Tax expert error

If you DID get the stimulus payments in advance then the credit on the return was rejected.  So you just need to pay the bill that you would have owed on the original return if the credit was not put on it.  There is no fix ... it is just the way it is.  

Tax expert error

If you had an amount on line 30 for the recovery rebate credit, the IRS cross checks every return that has an amount on that line.   They can see if they already gave you the stimulus payments and if they did, then the refund shown on your return is reduced or you might end up actually owing tax.  So if an error was made with your RCC, you were going to owe tax anyway.   You will need to pay the tax due.  If the IRS assessed penalties or interest for paying the tax late, you can discuss that with TT.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

Stephdogg241

Tax expert error

It was put on there by the tax expert not us I had the expert do our taxes. We have proof in our bank account records that 2400$ was not deposited to our account until January 8th 2021so this is not our error

Tax expert error

Did the expert ask you how much you got for the first 2 stimulus payments (which included any received in 2021 for the second payment) ??? 

If they did and you gave them the incorrect answer then they entered the wrong amount on the return  which populated a credit on line 30 of the form 1040 for the missing advance payment.  This was not an input error by them it was a misunderstanding on your part for assuming the payment you got in 2021 was not what they were asking about.

Thus you did get the stimulus money so you don't also get the credit on the 2020 return ... that is the simple fact so the IRS recalculated the return to remove the credit you can not have again.