minyounglee-2008

Substantial time overseas in 2016 (non-US Citizen or Green Card holder)

I am a non-US Citizen who is not a Green Card holder. I have been living in the US for the last 8 consecutive years, and each year, I have filed taxes as a resident of the US for tax purposes. However, this year, I have spent 81 days overseas, not in the US. Does this mean that I have to file taxes under a different status, and if so, what would that status be? I have had income this year and had paid taxes already (paycheck withholding). Is there a way I can indicate the time that I was not in the US in TurboTax, or should I use a different way of filing taxes this year?

TaxGuyBill

Nothing will change.

If you are in the US for at least 183 days every year, you will continue to be a Resident for tax purposes (you may still be a Resident if you in the US for less than 183 days, but it depends on the number of day over a 3 year period).

ScruffyCurmudgeon

@bine22   follow-up?
Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Univ. faculty
NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on ;"Mark as Best Answer;"
TaxGuyBill

Nothing will change.

minyounglee-2008

Thank you, TaxGuyBill. Is there a way to indicate that I was not living in the US for these 81 days on TurboTax? Would it change my tax obligations in any way?
TaxGuyBill

Nope, it doesn't affect your tax return at all, so there is nothing to enter in TurboTax,