Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drliu
Returning Member

Submitted a tax return as a non-resident alien and just realised TurboTax doesn't file for us.

Hi,

I just filed a tax return as a non-resident alien with TurboTax not knowing that TurboTax doesn't support tax returns for us. I just received an email saying it's been accepted. What can I expect now? Do I just leave it? Or do I wait for a response from the IRS requesting an amendment? Very confused as to what to do now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Submitted a tax return as a non-resident alien and just realised TurboTax doesn't file for us.

You should use TurboTax to file an amended return to cancel out your return, Please explain that you wrongly filed a resident alien return. And will now file a nonresident alien return.

To amend your return, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

You can then go to Sprintax.com to file a nonresident tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drliu
Returning Member

Just to clarify, I send an amendment just to cancel my current return so I can file a non-resident alien tax return (1040NR) with Sprintax?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  That is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies