turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hargrovetanieka
Returning Member

Stimulus

I accidentally put that I can be claimed but I can’t. Does that mean I won’t qualify for the stimulus payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Stimulus

correct 

- where did you do that... on your tax return or at the portal? 

Hargrovetanieka
Returning Member

Stimulus

On the tax return when I filed my taxes a few days ago 

Stimulus

that is a problem..... 

suggest calling the IRS AFTER you know that your tax return was filed and accepted and talk to them about this

you may get lucky as depending on when the IRS decides to use 2018 tax returns instead of 2019, it wouldn't impact your stimulus payment now

here is the worst case scenario - you resolve it with your 2020 tax return.  What is not well advertised is that what is really occurring is that these stimulus payments are really an ESTIMATE of what you are really entitled to.  

next year, you'll calculate what you are ACTUALLY entitled to based on the 2020 tax return (income, dependents,etc). 

if the ACTUAL is greater then the estimate (which is your worst case), then you'll get the $1200 rebated to you at that time

if the ESTIMATE is greater than the actual, you won't be required to give the money back to the IRS.

Hargrovetanieka
Returning Member

Stimulus

I didn’t have to really even file a tax return for this year. I just did it so that they would have current information.

Hargrovetanieka
Returning Member

Stimulus

The website told me to print the document and mail it in but I haven’t done that yet 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies