Solved: Stimulus received after filing taxes

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Stimulus received after filing taxes

I filed my taxes on Jan 7th, 21. I hadn’t received my second stimulus payment at that point, so I reported that when asked on my taxes and the $1200 was added to my refund amount. Well, I received the stimulus payment the next day in my bank account. What do I do now? Can I edit those details on my return since my taxes won’t be accepted by the IRS until late January? I’ve already submitted my efile and it doesn’t  look like there’s a way to edit. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

There is no way to edit a tax return that you have e-filed.  (Which is why you should not rush to e-file).  It will remain in "pending" on the server until the IRS begins to accept and reject returns at the end of January.  Sit tight and see if your return is accepted or rejected. If they reject it later in the month you will be able to make corrections.  If it accepted, we do not know yet if the IRS will catch this mistake or if you will have to go through the process to amend your return a few months from now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

There is no way to edit a tax return that you have e-filed.  (Which is why you should not rush to e-file).  It will remain in "pending" on the server until the IRS begins to accept and reject returns at the end of January.  Sit tight and see if your return is accepted or rejected. If they reject it later in the month you will be able to make corrections.  If it accepted, we do not know yet if the IRS will catch this mistake or if you will have to go through the process to amend your return a few months from now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

Level 2

Thank you, I figured I’d need to wait for rejection or acceptance. This confirms it. Appreciate your input. 

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings