Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
asesposi

stimulus check

I am not required to mail in a 1040 but I mailed one in anyway back in January.  I checked off that I can be claimed as a dependent on someone elses return.  I have no AGI.  I mailed in a most blank return that indicated non-taxable social security benefits.  The tax return refund tool on the IRS website says "Return is still being processed".   Do you think I will get the stimulus check ?    I receive SSDI via direct deposit.

thanks, 

Andrew 

stimulus check

Social Security and Stimulus Payments

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

asesposi

stimulus check

I have to re-word this:

I checked the box that indicated "Someone can claim me as a dependant" on my tax return and mailed my tax return.  I wasnt required to mail it, and it had zero's all over it with my SSDI benefit amount.  I am 36 years old and on disability through social security.  My parents arent going to be claiming me as a dependant this year.  Will the fact that I checked that box off prevent me from receiving the stimulus check ??

HelenC12

stimulus check

xmasbaby0 is correct however since you checked the box that you can be claimed as a dependent, it may affect your stimulus check.  

Per IRS:  Note the wording: can versus were you. Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.

• For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.

For additional information about stimulus checks, click here

See the following screenshots from TurboTax.