Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hockey140

Someone told me that when I added my 1099 and amended that me claiming my son and head of House and single May not have added into factors of having to pay 2k for a 5800

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Someone told me that when I added my 1099 and amended that me claiming my son and head of House and single May not have added into factors of having to pay 2k for a 5800

First your question makes no sense  and next you are posting from one of the LIVE products ...

Please contact a rep.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live
Live help is available M-F during normal business hours after tax season.

If you got a 1099NEC that is for self employment and you owe 15% self employment tax on it in addition to any regular income tax on it.  Did you do an amended return?  You should only amend after you get the refund from the original return.  So you  may have to pay some of the first refund back.  

hockey140

Thank you for reply. So I did my taxes and got return then got a late 1099 for 5800 or so. When I amended my taxes it said I owed 2000$ to IRS instead of getting money back. Someone who understands taxes more told me that seemed off and that perhaps the credit for claiming my son and head of household don’t get factored into it. So I’m trying to find out if I need to amend again and fix so I don’t have to pay money if there’s no need to lol

That could be right.   The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16. If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any 1040V voucher that prints out and the new 1040. Those are what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies