turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello I want to amend my 2018 return. I efiled with turbo tax. The amendment is to claim my son. What do I need to include with my 1040X? Do I need to send W2 as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello I want to amend my 2018 return. I efiled with turbo tax. The amendment is to claim my son. What do I need to include with my 1040X? Do I need to send W2 as well?

Hi,

You don't need to include your W2 unless stated by the IRS if you had received a letter by mail, you only send them the 1040X  and any forms that you may include depending what changes your making, in your case your only claiming your son, so there's nothing else to be attached to the form, it's going to ask you why your amending so your putting that your claiming your son, and that's all .

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi,

You don't need to include your W2 unless stated by the IRS if you had received a letter by mail, you only send them the 1040X  and any forms that you may include depending what changes your making, in your case your only claiming your son, so there's nothing else to be attached to the form, it's going to ask you why your amending so your putting that your claiming your son, and that's all .

Anonymous
Not applicable

what's required is 1040-x , 1040 and any forms or schedules that changed.   

So include the ordinal filing form 1040 as well?

No...you do not include the original or new form 1040 with the 1040X...you attach any forms or schedules that changed or were added.

Look at column B of the form 1040X....you need to send in supporting docs for any changes made to the original return... Adding a child may have added new forms to your return...attach any new or changed form like the 8812. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies