turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cricotta

I accidently filed my taxes using the wrong W2, what should I do?

I’m on hold right now been on hold for 1 hr 18 min
Cricotta

I’ve been seeing a lot of answers saying that they will just adjust the refund to reflect with the info they have then you can amend your return (I’d have to put the missing w2 in) if they require you to do so. I also called the offset hotline and found out I owe 152 in state taxes (which they will automatically take out) so that’s another reason for the delay

Ok so they might just fix it then we would have to amend it after we get our refund? Oh and did you finally get ahold of anyone/a actual person?
Cricotta

That’s what I been reading so far but there’s no telling. And yeah they told me I had a offset but that it would be taken out of the refun but that’s not why it is delayed smh so no answers yet gonna check my transcripts

Ok yea I checked my transcript and it didn’t say anything, it said I haven’t filed a return. Idk it’s confusing.
Cricotta

So I got the letter in the mail. The dreaded 60 day review. I’m guessing they will adjust my refund because of the old w2 I accidentally put on there. So I may get partial refund then have to amend. Basically we’re gonna be pulled for review because our old w2s are on there
Cricotta

There matching up all there documents with what you submitted. 60 day review is imminent

Do you know if you have to amend right away or if you can wait I know it says on TurboTax you can wait like up to three years? I’m just not sure.

Have you heard anything else yet? Any change?
Cricotta

No  but I read that they will keep sending 60 day notices untill you amend the return. I might as well amend I don’t have anything to lose and I know for sure I filed the wrong w2. So annoying

You cannot change anything on the return that you just e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your income and re-submit your return.  If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in.  You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least a couple of months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Tamcguire

Once you transmit your return you cannot change it or get it back.  You would have to wait until your return gets rejected or accepted.  If rejected, you can make your changes or add information to your return.  If accepted, you would need to amend your return to correct or add information to your return.

I received refund. After verifying ID

Ok I did the same thing wrong w2. I had to verify my Id also. Just did that on Monday. Now just hoping everything works out ok. Thank you so much for the response.

No problem. Hope everything works out I verified ID and about a week later my status changed from still processing to being processed. Recieved DDD the following Saturday.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies