Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Single Member LLC Filing California Form 568 eFile (TurboTax Online Self Employed)

I am a bit confused and seeing mixed messages on TurboTax pages saying from 568 efiling is not supported for 2020 tax year.  I filed my taxes this past Friday, I received a confirmation email that the following forms were sent:

2020 Federal Personal

2020 California Personal
2020 California LLC Filing

Later that evening, I received an email from TurboTax that my 2020 CA LLC Filing was accepted.  So did TurboTax efile my form 568? if not, then how did I get this message.   One other question I have is that when I review the PDF of my tax return.  Form 568 says Do Not File, Form Not Final.

Hopefully someone can chime in on this and let me know if I need to send in form 568, or if it was efiled.  If I do need to send it, when will TurboTax provide me the correct form to mail in, since the one on my tax return says Do Not File, Form Not Final.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Single Member LLC Filing California Form 568 eFile (TurboTax Online Self Employed)

In 2020, electronic filing of your Form 568 is supported when you file your personal income tax return as long as you only have one Form 568

If you have multiple Form 568 forms, you will not be able to electronically file using the program.

As far as the email, TurboTax has not released Form 568 for filing yet.  Please see the attached link for more details on when the form will be available for filing.

CA forms release dates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is why its confusing.  I did get a confirmation email that mm CA LLC Filing was sent and a few hours later that it was accepted.  Based on the form availability being 2/25, what exactly was sent over to FTB for my LLC filing?

Hawkeye5
Returning Member

Jedmo, did you have just "1" Form 568 filed?  I've got two and am tempted to pull the trigger since my "error" message regarding CA is "2" from Forms 568 not yet complete.  

Hi Hawkeye,

Yes, I only filed "1" form for 568.  

Miker3

The California link above shows that you cannot eFile form 568 and that the Mail in Version will be ready on 2/25/21. When you do your "Review" in Turbotax you can click on a link and have them email you when the Form is ready to Print and Mail.

Just as a follow up, I was finally able to eFile my CA Personal taxes today and they were accepted.  I also signed on myFTB LLC account to see if CA received my LLC eFile from TurboTax, and the status shows that it was accepted.  So TurboTax did indeed eFile my 568 form before the 2/25 date.  

Hawkeye5
Returning Member

Jedmo; thanks, but once again, no luck.  I have no clue as to what I'm doing wrong.  There's a reason why we are moving out of CA at the end of March.  CA makes it soooooo difficult to do business.  My research tells me that I can "delete" 568 from my CA tubotax taxes, file CA and mail in 568.  That's my next try.  If all else fails, I hire an accountant.  This is insane.................

Why does the CA release dates link you gave say that Form 568 E-file is unsupported?

Also, I downloaded my return and saw the Form 568 has a "do not file" watermark.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Although it says in the Forms Availability for California, that Form 568 cannot be e-filed, it can be e-filed in some cases.   However, if your Form 568 has the watermark on it, it was not e-filed.  

If you look on Form 568, p 1-2, at the bottom, there is a notice.  If the box is checked, you have to mail the form, as it can't be e-filed.   But if that box is not checked, it appears the form can be e-filed with the rest of your return.  As long as your Form 568 does not include one of those exceptions, it can be e-filed.    @jpsanabria

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, if I need to mail the Form 568 because it was not e-filed with TurboTax, how do I print a version of those pages without the "do not file" watermark?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you will have to wait until the form has been approved for printing and then you can print it to mail in.

The following link says it is available now.

State Forms Expected Availability for TurboTax

You may need to close your return and update your state software and then reopen your return in order to print it for mailing.

It has been weeks since the Form 568 became available for printing. Yet, the only version I can print has a "do not file" watermark on it. In addition to this, some people say the 568 can be auto-filed by TurboTax, meanwhile other people say that can't be done. Who is right? Where is the source of truth for this form?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

It is true you cannot efile your Form 568.  The source is the California Forms Availability.  If you are using TurboTax Self-Employed, you cannot print any forms for filing before your returns are paid for,.

I just filed my California State Return electronically. In the past, say 2019, the instruction indicated to mail Form 568 separately, as it can't be filed electronically. However, starting the tax year 2020, there is no such instruction anymore to mail in Form 568. Therefore, I suspect TurboTax had electronically filed my Form 568 instead.

Reading this thread, it seems to confirm this is the case. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies