turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I give my ex-spouse a copy of my 1095-A form? He states he rec'd a letter from the IRS stating they need this form from him, I pay all the premiums for our child.

He states he rec'd a letter from the IRS stating they need this form from him, I pay all the premiums for our child. Our agreement is that he claims our child every other year - this is the first year for him to claim our child. Child Support was calculated with him paying $15/mthly towards insurance. Shouldn't he just say that he pays $180 for insurance instead of entering my information from the 1095-A form? I have already filed my taxes and included the amounts from the form on my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tpoock

Should I give my ex-spouse a copy of my 1095-A form? He states he rec'd a letter from the IRS stating they need this form from him, I pay all the premiums for our child.

As far as the ACA goes, your ex is responsible for health care for any dependents he claims, or could claim, on his tax return. Same goes for you. In the years you claim the children, you are responsible for obtaining insurance. In these cases, the actual Premium Tax Credit paid will depend on the income on the return claiming the children.

So, if your ex is claiming the children as dependents, he needs to reconcile the payments. He would also be responsible for providing insurance or paying penalties in the years he claims the children.

If you and your children are all on the same policy and the same 1095-A in a year that you do not claim them, you need to follow the procedures for a shared policy allocation. (In TurboTax, you click on "I shared this policy with someone not on my tax return" when done with the 1095-A. In essence, you will claim only your own and your ex will claim the children's.

Under multiple support agreements, the parent claiming deductions for health insurance is dependent on a number of issues and how the agreement is spelled out. Someone else may be able to help you with that one.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tpoock

As far as the ACA goes, your ex is responsible for health care for any dependents he claims, or could claim, on his tax return. Same goes for you. In the years you claim the children, you are responsible for obtaining insurance. In these cases, the actual Premium Tax Credit paid will depend on the income on the return claiming the children.

So, if your ex is claiming the children as dependents, he needs to reconcile the payments. He would also be responsible for providing insurance or paying penalties in the years he claims the children.

If you and your children are all on the same policy and the same 1095-A in a year that you do not claim them, you need to follow the procedures for a shared policy allocation. (In TurboTax, you click on "I shared this policy with someone not on my tax return" when done with the 1095-A. In essence, you will claim only your own and your ex will claim the children's.

Under multiple support agreements, the parent claiming deductions for health insurance is dependent on a number of issues and how the agreement is spelled out. Someone else may be able to help you with that one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies