thou1964

Should I file an amend, if my grandchild (age 7 yrs old) suppose to get child tax credit, but got credit for other dependent instead?

I noticed that my grandchild got credit for other dependent instead of child tax credit. She is 7 yrs old as of 2020. Should I file an amend? Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

@thou1964 wrote:

Ok, do you think I should file an amend to get the right credit? What do you suggest?

Yes, you should file an amended return to receive the larger Child Tax Credit that you are eligible to receive.  But the choice is yours.  You are not required to amend the tax return if you choose not to do so.

When you entered her info, did you indicate that she was your Grandchild?

thou1964

Yes, I did. I guess down the line something went wrong doing my taxes. I think the part when it asked me if my grandchild was valid for employment and I answered, "no". Could that be the case?

@thou1964 wrote:

Yes, that would prevent you from receiving the Child Tax Credit for your grandchild.  

thou1964

@thou1964 wrote:

thou1964

Ok, thank you so much for that information and help. Much appreciated!!