maile3

Sent in taxes yesterday. Claimed the $600. stimulus. BUT received stimulus check in mail yesterday. Help need to amend.

DanaB27

You can cash the check.

If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes to the stimulus payments on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

JohnW152

You probably won't need to amend your return.  TurboTax has established a procedure for taxpayers with this same Recovery Rebate Credit situation. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return? for guidance.

The IRS requires you to report all relevant stimulus information when you’re filing your return.

Eliana1123

So can we cash the check or no ??

DanaB27

You can cash the check.

maile3

Why cant they just deduct it from my return?  Need money asap.  

WendyN2

You do not have to file an amended and you are perfectly fine with cashing the check you received. They will know (or they should know) that they did cut you a stimulus check and it is not your fault that is was not received until now. They will have to work it out on their end. You are fine.

Ashlistfu11254

So I filed in early January and hadn't received the 600$ stimulus for my kids and I, then a week later got it direct deposited. Do I amend my taxes? Will they fix it on their own? Because I still haven't gotten my taxes yet and there is no progress on the irs website. I still haven't gotten the 3rd stimulus check for my children and I either. I dont know if my taxes are effecting that, but I really need all of this money so I'm just looking for answers in what to do?

MaryM428

You can spend the $600 payment and wait for the IRS to resolve it.  They may deduct it from your refund or may ask for it at a later time.  The third stimulus checks started being deposited today, March 17.  Just keep watching the Where's My Refund and the Get My Payment websites.  

American Rescue Plan Act of 2021