turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone else being told they have to wait until April to get their tax refund, after filing January 31st accepted the same day?

Before anyone gets upset or condescending towards my question.  I already know that turbo tax cannot speed things up or track things down.  I understand that.  My issue is unique.. or so I am coming to believe.  I claimed child tax credit and the earned income credit .. the same exact way I have filed the last few years.  When I checked the status and actually called Turbo Tax (after about 31 mins on the phone with the rep) was told that I should receive it by Feb 27th.  When February 27th came around (I had received about $89 from the state tax refund) but no federal tax refund.. told they'd take a lil longer due to this PATH act whatever.. As it were, why would I worry? I filed the SAME way and it's verifiable. At this point, since turbo tax couldn't further assist, I tracked down the phone number and the prompts and after another 20 min hold was connected with an IRS agent.  She put me on hold pulled up my information and basically said a letter went out .. on the 26th.. well it being the 27th, I hadn't received it yet so I asked .. what is in the letter? I couldn't tell you other than there's a delay of about 45 days from Feb 15th.  I received the letter on March 5th basically saying they've received my return and if I didn't file it, to notify them.  That was about it.  NO additional information.  So given the fact that the IRS woman suggested April 1st, the 45th day from feb 15th, I'm very concerned.  Why hasn't anyone anywhere online in any article or website mentioned this ????  Why is this still taking so long and furthermore, if the IRS woman suggested by April 1st, why doesn't the WMR website reflect that information as well?  Never in all my life have I ever had to wait 3 months after filing electronically to receive my over due, much needed tax refund! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is anyone else being told they have to wait until April to get their tax refund, after filing January 31st accepted the same day?

I certainly understand your concern. Without reading the letter myself and just going from your comments alone, this sounds like its one of the IRS' precautionary measures to reduce the risk of fraudulent returns and scams

Please see the below page from the IRS website that has a list of all the alerts involving scams and fraudulent tax returns:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-scams-consumer-alerts

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I certainly understand your concern. Without reading the letter myself and just going from your comments alone, this sounds like its one of the IRS' precautionary measures to reduce the risk of fraudulent returns and scams

Please see the below page from the IRS website that has a list of all the alerts involving scams and fraudulent tax returns:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-scams-consumer-alerts

The exact samething is happening to me
emily1381

If you still haven’t received your refund, get in touch with a taxpayer advocate. I highly recommend one. Thousands of taxpayers like myself are having the same issues you are. It’s because the system with the IRS has glitched with the people who have claimed EITC. I had to resubmit my proof of employment from 2 different employers to them. That was 3 weeks ago. They’re just now contacting my employers for the verification. My taxpayer advocate stated that he will be in touch with me later on this week to discuss the rest. This whole entire thing has been an absolute nightmare, so I can relate to what you’re going through. I hope you’ve already received your refund; but, if you’re in the same boat like me and haven’t yet, I would definitely get an advocate because they can tell you exactly what’s going on and why and they won’t give you the run around like the IRS does.

The same thing happened to me. They told me 45 days which will be up on 18th of may and I filed feb 2. I never had this problem before but I did receive a letter stating that it would be May 2nd. So as of now I'm still waiting. I wish they would look at the people they need to look at like trump and not the low income returns we depend on that especially when you have kids.

I filed on February 12th 2019 and was literally accepted 30 minutes after i filed. I checked my status today as today marks the 21 days since filing and being accepted. Two days ago when i checked the status bars had disappeared only stating that my return was still being processed and that a refund date would be provided as soon as it could. So naturally i called and went through the prompts to speak to a live agent and after calling 10 times (kept getting disconnected due to high call volumes) the agent placed me on hold to look up my refund status and i was told it was being reviewed and that if i haven't heard anything 45 days from march 18th 2019 (today is only march 5th 2019 mind you) only then to call back and that i didn't currently need to do anything and that if i did that the irs would send me a letter saying so. I asked him why my return would be taking so long and he really couldn't tell me anything other then that. How do i go about getting a tax advocate? This is beyond rediculous. I did file for the EITC and the ACTC. so i wasn't expecting anything until on or after feb 27th. I have children and a family to take care of so it would be nice to try and speed things along. Its a bit rediculous and frustrating.

Same thing happen to me still no refund its 3/15/19

Update: i called a week later and spoke with another irs agent who was much more helpful. Aparently the reason for the review is that my tax return doesn't match the amount reported to Social Security Administration has on file and that i reported more than what was reported. So i called my former employer and had her correspond with her accountant to get things straightened out. All because my paperwork got lost. It happeneds.. Im waiting until monday to hear back from my former boss. Who's been as helpful as can be. But when i spoke with SSA they told me to go to the nearest SSA office and give them a copy of my W2 and have them input the missing wages into their system that way.

I filed taxes on January 22nd 2019 and they were accepted the same day then on the second week of march i got 2 letters 1 was dated on the 1st and the second was dated on the 7th but they both said the exact same thing. That my return was being reviewed and the review process would take up to 60 days but now it is may 4th 2019 and wwr still says "We have received your tax return and it is being processed". I called the 800 number on the letter and an automated system asks for ss# filing status and amount of expected return same as wwr site then it gives me the same statement in return as the wwr site and hangs up what am I supposed to do?

So i finally got a tax advocate. Again i remind you i filed on Feb. 12th 2019. Hes about as useless as anything. I still havent received my refund. May 25th marks the 60 days the letter i recieved told me to wait. Today is May 13th and i dont think i will be getting it back anytime soon. Well considering my refund isnt being held up due to any sort of fraud i fully expect them to pay interest on my tax return after may 30th. 45 days from the last day to file taxes. If they dont i fully plan on using an attorney. Anyways. Sorry this isnt more helpful. Hopefully my tax advocate calls on may 15th like he said he was going to and see where they're at in processing/ reviewing everything.

Seems like "IRS.Gov" was just updated yesterday (febr.24th) I filed and was accepted on Jan. 28th,2019. My status went from processing to bars showing refund approved with deposit date Febr 27th. Looks like this will be the case for all early filers. Good luck...

According to the IRS, No refunds claiming the EIC will be deposited until Febr. 27th, 2019 for early filers (those who filed in Jan. and was accepted by the irs) They would not give me a reason why so long but hope this helps answer your questions.

I actually got told the same exact thing this morning, I have neither child tax or earned income I was just told it was for fraud basically and I had to possibly wait til April 23rd

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies