Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales tax on used car purchased

I live in CA. I purchased a used car from a dealership in California in 2022. I paid sales tax of $1,622.40

Turbo Tax is using the standard deduction for me, which is higher than my federal itemized deductions. 

Although I have reached my $10,000 limit on Federal Schedule A, line 7, under "Taxes you Paid," I can still get back a few more dollars from California if I list the $1,622.40 under "State and local personal property taxes" line c, of the Federal Schedule A (Taxes You Paid).  Is it okay to go ahead and include the sales tax I paid for the car?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot list the sales tax that you paid for your vehicle under Other Personal Property Taxes on your schedule A of your 1040. Other Personal Property Taxes are taxes that are imposed on moving property (vehicles, boats, motorcycles, etc.) that is assessed annually. You can deduct the vehicle license fee portion of your CA registration as Other Personal Property Taxes. If you do not have your registration information that provides the vehicle license fee for your auto, please visit the CA DMV Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator to determine the amount to enter on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I understand your answer correctly, the key words are "assessed annually." Since the sales tax is paid one time only, at the time of the vehicle purchase, the sales taxes would not apply. Correct?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Sales tax paid when buying a car is sales tax. It’s not a personal property tax.

Turbotax has a list of states where you can deduct personal property tax. California is not one of those states. You can deduct the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) portion of your registration fee.

Is my car registration fee deductible?

TurboTax allows you to enter a total for all your sales tax receipts or you can use the federal standard amount + sale tax paid on any large purchases, such as a used car.

1. Type sales tax in Search (the magnifying glass) in the top right
  2. Select Jump to sales tax
  3. On Let’s Compare Your Sales Tax and Income Tax, select Try Sales Tax Deduction Anyway
  4. On "How do you want to enter your sales tax info? select EasyGuide
  5. On Major Purchases, say YES to "Did you buy any major items while living in [your state]?
  6. On Enter Major Purchases, fill in your vehicle info
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies