Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA Basis Not Correct

I received one 1099-R which includes a taxable Roth conversion from my 403b to a Roth, and also a rollover from my 403b to a Rollover IRA (not taxable).   The gross distribution and taxable amount are combined for these two events on this 1099-R. When I enter the 1099-R, Turbo Tax asks me if it is a Roth Conversion. I answered yes, and it adds the entire gross distribution to my Roth basis on the Roth IRA Info Worksheet.  I only want the portion associated with the Roth to be included in the Roth basis, not the entire amount which includes a Rollover IRA which isn't a Roth. It doesn't appear there is a way to split it and when I go directly to the Roth IRA Info Worksheet it won't let me override it.  It is calculating the tax correctly but I didn't want this to cause me other issues later on. How do I fix it? The only way I could think of is to enter the 1099-R as two separate pieces but then it won't match what the IRS receives. I want Turbo Tax to have my Roth basis listed properly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Roth IRA Basis Not Correct

Note I have not filed the taxes yet.  Sorry I posted this in the wrong location.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies