Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return on hold-- notice from IRS

I filed the very last day and have been waiting on my refund since. My husband is active duty army and was deployed last year. We have since received a notice (CP04) saying that that they need more information to verify combat tax deferment benefits. 

We never received one of them before. We filed on time but it still isn't accepted and now we have this notice. I have no idea what this means. Any ideas? Is this holding up our refund? Or is it a "just in case"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Follow the directions on the notice and call the IRS if you have questions. 

Well of course. My question is in regards to still not receiving our refund and this form and if they’re related…

Yes they're related.  Send the IRS what they ask for as soon as possible. Only the IRS can tell you about your refund.  You can call them at 1-800-829-1040. 

I have already sent in the request. It doesn't say on the notice it will hold the refund.. just to see "if we're eligible". So I can't figure out why it is holding it up.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see this link from the IRS for more information on Notice CP04.  There is a link to contact a Taxpayer Advocate under the "you may want to" section to get additional assistance in resolving the hold on your return.

@kristinecarr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Something else to check on also...

Look at his Military W-2, and make sure that box 12 has a code Q with a $$ amount after it.

Some Possibilities as to why:

1) IF that code Q and $$ amount is not there on is official W-2 form, then that is why they IRS is questioning the combat $$ deferment.

2)  IF the code Q and $$ is there, then there might be a data miscommunication between DFAS and the IRS about that value....OR

3) ...either that or the box 12 value you entered in the software (mistyped), when you entered that W-2 didn't match what was on his actual w-2

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

So how do I fix it? There is a Q.

Maybe no fix, other than replying to the IRS and providing them with any forms they may have requested in the letter they sent you.   It's always possible it was just a random manual check of your data entries.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies