turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Rejected return - dependent issue

My return was rejected apparently because two children filed their returns showing no one was claiming them as a dependent, but I am claiming them.  I amended their returns (through H&R Block), then resumbitted my return - still rejected!  What can I do?

2 Replies

Rejected return - dependent issue


Once this mistake is made, your e-File will be denied.

You have to file on paper via US Mail.

Rejected return - dependent issue

Their amended returns will take months to be processed.   The system will not catch up to it this year.   The only way you can file now is by mail.    Print, sign and date your return in ink and mail it in.


When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.



And.....if your dependents are getting the $1400 recovery rebate credit on their incorrect tax returns, they are going to have to pay it back.  Do not allow them to spend it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies