Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Witz
Level 2

rejected efile 1040x

Hello

My original return was e-filed accepted and approved.  The next day I noticed that I claimed a credit twice by mistake. I filled out the form 1040x and e-filed it. My 1040x reduced my refund for the tax associated with double credit claim. On the 1040x under amount due I put in the additional tax owed, and under refund I put in the new amount to be refunded. I received a rejection because I put an amount in for tax due and also an amount for a refund. The said if you a claiming a refund the tax owed should by zero. I corrected the mistake and tried to re e-file the amended return and the program would not allow it to be e-field. As a result of all this I now have to mail my new amended. I followed the instructions, and I don't understand why I still can't e-file. Very frustrating.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

rejected efile 1040x

Yes, the amended return works this way because the original and amended returns are processed completely separately. 

That is why you are supposed to wait until your original return is fully processed before you amend it. That mean waiting until your get your refund. 

Amended returns don't "catch up" with the original return. The IRS doesn't net your results.

You will still get the original refund and you will need to pay back the excess refund before April 15. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

rejected efile 1040x

Yes, the amended return works this way because the original and amended returns are processed completely separately. 

That is why you are supposed to wait until your original return is fully processed before you amend it. That mean waiting until your get your refund. 

Amended returns don't "catch up" with the original return. The IRS doesn't net your results.

You will still get the original refund and you will need to pay back the excess refund before April 15. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

rejected efile 1040x

"I put an amount in for tax due and also an amount for a refund. "

Turbotax should not allow you to do that. Otherwise, TurboTax did it and generated an invalid 1040-X

if your e-FIle is REJECTED you should be able to correct and resubmit.

If you can't , try this:

save the printout of 1040-X and the forms that are new or changed due to your amendment

cancel the amendment and back out your changes.

Then try to amend again.

Also, IRS allows more than one e-File of 1040-X, and TurboTax should also, even if the first one counts.

But I don't recall seeing any one post that that works.

@Witz 

rejected efile 1040x

You shouldn't be putting in the refund and amount due.  That is for the amended return to figure out.

You will still get the first original full refund (and keep it) or need to pay the first tax due. You should not amend or change your return until you get the refund from the original return or your payment has cleared.

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any 1040V voucher that prints out and the new 1040. Those are what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies