Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

madadman

Refund

My only income for filing my taxes for the year 2020 was/is the amount I included in my filing.  Specifically a small amount on my 1099-R. There was no other income.

I did NOT include the $600 for the 2nd stimulus because I did not get it in 2020.  I received the $600 in 2021, therefore I did not mark it as having received it for 2020.

At the end of filing my taxes it indicated, approved, and submitted to the IRS I am to receive a $600 Federal refund.  I don't think this is correct.

I do NOT need the feds thinking I am attempting to seize money that is not due me.  

The very same amount I indicated for 2019 is the exact amount in 2020.  I did NOT receive a $600 fed refund for 2019.  Only received a state refund.

Quite confused as to why I am receiving a refund on my 2020 taxes.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Refund

Well unfortunately you messed up when you would not enter that $600 that you received "in 2021" because you were supposed to say that you already received it.   By not entering that it had been received, you caused the software to put it on your tax return on line 30 as a recovery rebate credit----and you cannot get the $600 again as a credit if you already received it.   That means the IRS spent time cross checking the amount you had received and removed the $600 from your refund.

You will not end up getting the $600 that is shown as a refund on your return.   The IRS will disallow it and send you a letter to explain.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Refund

Have you filed it yet?  If not you need to fix it and say you already got the second $600.  If you filed that will delay processing your return and they will adjust your refund.  Was your refund only for the 600?  Then you won't be getting a refund.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies