Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refund Advance- credit karma closed account

Has this happened to anyone else? 
I get a refund advance every year, never have had issues, today I went to check credit karma and it’s showing my account as closed. After half the day on the phone with turbo tax and credit karma they are telling me they closed my account THE SAME DAY I SET IT UP TO HAVE MY REFUND DEPOSITED INTO. Credit karma tells me they can see my $1000 refund advance in the account ?!? But cannot open the account back up for me or open me a new one for two weeks. They claim they will mail me a check but cannot give me any sort of confirmation number. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m genuinely concerned all my money has been lost to credit karma. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

208 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There was a bulk account closure on January 25th. They have since paused the bulk account closure process. 

If your account was closed either on the day you received the Refund Advance or right before you received it, then you will receive a check in the mail. 

If you have not filed yet, it's possible you can attempt to open a new account at Credit Karma then you should be able to apply for a Refund Advance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It doesn’t seem ethical to me that they are able to keep my account open on only there end and still receive deposits, but have no ability to open it back up to me.  I had used the account in the last 6-8 months so it’s not like it was just sitting. Honestly, seeing how many other people this has happened to seems like it may need to be reported to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  

Help! Credit karma just closed my account. They won't give me a reason other than the bank can do what they want. I just got my advance on 1/23/24. Used the card that day. Checked my app this morning, realized it was closed. Spent hours trying to figure this out and have come up with nothing. Can't get anyone with credit karma or IRS to talk to that know anything. What happens about the advance repayment with SBTG???? How long does the check take to come? They need SUED!!!!!!! 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There was a bulk account closure on January 25th. They have since paused the bulk account closure process. 

Customers were notified ahead of time if their account was going to be closed, by email. They were closed if Credit Karma needed you to verify your banking information was accurate and you failed to do this by the deadline or if you had a negative balance and did not bring your account back into good standing prior to the deadline. 

If your account was closed either on the day you received the Refund Advance or right before you received it, then you will receive a check in the mail. 

If you have not filed yet, it's possible you can attempt to open a new account at Credit Karma then you should be able to apply for a Refund Advance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Stephcov

This happened to my boyfriend but he noticed before he submitted his taxes that his credit karma spend account is closed however turbo tax has a different account number now because he had to make a new spend account. :( this didn’t happen to me mine remained open. Guess he can call turbo tax to see if they can update the account on their end weird they would close a ton of accounts right before taxes especially if people are doing the refund advance 

This same thing happened to me and said that have no explanation and that I just have to wait and hope that my return gets rejected, sent back to the irs and then I get a paper check up to 10 weeks later!! 😭

Not everyone's account was closed for those reasons mine was closed and they said it does not say why it was closed but they assume it was a system error/issue and that they did not send any type of notification, such as emails as some accounts were not meant to be closed. Now I have to wait to have my return rejected and the IRS to mail a check instead.

Yes this exact same thing happened to me with over $800 in the account. I got a $2500 refund advance which I’ve been using with no issues. Woke up yesterday to my card being declined. After several panic attacks I call them to find out they closed my account with no notice. Allegedly I didn’t provide information within 60 days…. Funny because I haven’t even had my advance for 30 days much less 60. Furthermore I’ve had this same card since the pandemic always use it to file and have never had this issue. Out of curiosity how soon was your card about to expire. Mine was set to expire 1/25 I feel like someone really **bleep**ed up and prematurely closed accounts because I’ve received no request for anything from this and they have a valid address for me. Not one shred of mail from them. But I need to ensure they’ll just send me a check which also means I’ll be forced to wait on the rest of my refund. I have four kids by myself thank God I have a decent job but this screwed me. Had I even the slightest idea this could occur I would have removed every penny. This is the second time filing with turbo tax has ruined my financially. A few years back when they screwed up everyone’s returns I was affected then too. So this is the final straw I’ll spend the extra money but they will never ever get my business again. February is about to be a long ass month. Oh and it gets better I would’ve gotten my full refund this coming week so thank you so much Credit Karma & affiliates I’m not behind on every major bill because I now suddenly have no access to MY money. Livid doesn’t even come close. A trash ball company.

I have went through all of my emails from Credit Karma and Turbo Tax and nothing was sent regarding them closing my account. 

Kremommy

Just happen to me today.. claim they sent something  thru the email months ago.. can't even tell me anything about what will happen to the rest of the money once irs release. This is so frustrating I've had this card for 3 years and never had to go thru anything.. I asked why not sent notification thur the app that something needed to be done to keep account from closing..like this is foul

It is foul. I reported to the BBB and I know a few others did too that are in the same situation. I also could not find an email and have had the account for three years. Closed it the same day I filed my taxes. 
I was told by credit karma that they have mailed out $1,000 refund advance check because it was deposited to my “closed” account. Both turbo tax and credit karma told me that I will get sent a check with the rest of my refund- I’m very skeptical that credit karma still has my account open on there end to receive deposits though I do not want to have that deposited and wait for a credit karma check, I want my refund to come directly from the IRS and to stop playing games with credit karma. 
In really have a bad feeling the refund check with my $1000 advance will not show up, 

My card was also set to expire January 2025! I agree that something really messed up and prematurely closed accounts. This has created a major financial burden for me as I was depending on that money- also a single parent. I’m really nervous the check isn’t going to show up. 

If they reject your refund- I found out they were still accepting deposits into my account after it closed. They accepted the refund advance deposit 5 days after the account was closed! And refused to give me access back to it 

Clearly by these comments none of us received notification from credit karma our accounts would be closed. Seems a lot of the closed accounts had the same expiration date of January 2025 on the cards so it makes absolutely no sense to close them now. It is absolutely an error on credit karmas end and they should do something to reconcile it before all of our tax refunds have to be rejected. Turbo tax should probably help push them to fix this error as well because you are going to lose many customers for next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies