With an extension, I filed our 2021 this July 2022, but the payment was applied to next year's 2022 return. How can I redirect it to pay my 2021 amount due?
Unsure of what you did ... did you file a 2021 extension with a payment by 4/15/22 ? If so did the extension payment show up on line 31 of the form 1040?
To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -
- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Deductions and Credits
- Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
- Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
- On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button
On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button
Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment
The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 10. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to Form 1040 Line 31.