Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received W-2C that changed characterization of income but no additional tax owed - do I amend?

My federal and GA state tax returns were filed and accepted in February.  I received a W-2C yesterday - the only change on the W-2c was to line 11 where an amount was previously noted for non qualified deferred comp plans when it should not have been noted in that box.  This amount was also included as part of Box 1 on the original W-2 and that did not change.  As far as my 1040, it does change Line 8, Other Income, but it would just move that income to Line 1a.  I also would not have needed a Schedule 1 for Other income because the non qualified deferred comp plan income was the only thing on it.  

I created a 1040X in Turbotax, and since that form does not show all of these details as the 1040 did, there is no change in AGI or tax liability or any other line on the 1040X.  The same with my Georgia form 500X - nothing is different.  

Do I need to amend these returns or send anything to the IRS about this?  I don't know what happens when they receive the W-2C and my return still shows non qualified income on the wrong row now on my 1040.  I don't want to cause confusion with the IRS and file something I don't need to file, but I want to do the right thing.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Received W-2C that changed characterization of income but no additional tax owed - do I amend?

No, you do not need to amend the federal or state return. The IRS will receive the form with the information shown in the correct boxes. The corrected W-2 that you received is an informational form only and does not require that you amend your tax returns. There is no change in taxes owed for federal or Georgia and you do not need to do anything further with this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to amend the federal or state return. The IRS will receive the form with the information shown in the correct boxes. The corrected W-2 that you received is an informational form only and does not require that you amend your tax returns. There is no change in taxes owed for federal or Georgia and you do not need to do anything further with this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies