turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RLFX6718

Received updated dividend & stock/bond info from brokerage after filing federal tax. How do I amend federal return, I do not see an item for amending 1099-div/int/stocks?

When I go to the Turbo Tax amending section I see no mechanism to amend for 1099 div/int/stocks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Received updated dividend & stock/bond info from brokerage after filing federal tax. How do I amend federal return, I do not see an item for amending 1099-div/int/stocks?

You will have to amend your tax return using Form 1040x amended tax return to update your dividend & stock/bond info from your brokerage firm into Form 1040X and then file Form 1040X with the IRS.

The link below has information on amending your tax return that you may find useful.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

I have the same problem . I got $143 dividend and want to use Turbo tax2021 to amend my tax. I just can not find a way to do it . There is no way to amend 1099-DID . May you help me to solve the problem?

Why TurboTax can not amend 1099-DID even for 2021 tax year? Or it is IRS proboem

JillS56
Expert Alumni

I am not sure what you are exactly asking, but you cannot just amend the 1099-DIV.   You have to amend your federal return.   

A word of caution do not amend your return until your original return has been processed.   Once you receive your refund, which is a pretty good sign that the return has been processed and can be amended.  

To amend your return in TurboTax, log into your account and select the tax return that you want to amend, and follow the online instructions.  How to Correct Federal Tax 

@NickZ2021 

Form 1040-X contains three columns:

• Column A. This column shows the numbers previously reported on your tax return. Use the copy of your tax return you gathered in Step 1 to complete this column.
  • Column B. This column shows how the amounts from your original return need to increase or decrease. For example, if you're amending your gross income to include $50 of interest income missing from your previously filed tax return, you would enter $50 on line 1, column B.
  • Column C. This column shows the correct amount. Just add the amounts from column A and column B and enter the result here.

In Part III of Form 1040-X, you'll need to provide a clear explanation for your reasons for filing an amended return.

When you use TurboTax to prepare your amended return, you don’t need to know all the details. Once you indicate that you’re preparing an amended return, the software will help you fill out Form 1040-X and any supporting forms as you make changes to your income and deductions.

Be sure to start the 1040-X before you make any changes to the entries in your original return.

All you will need to do change in your return will be to go to the 1099-DIV and 1099-B (stock/bond).   Go into these documents and make the changes.   The changes will flow through to the 1040-X.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies