turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I chose direct deposit for my return, but made a mistake on the account number I entered for my bank.

The IRS Refund Tool says it was sent to my bank. But since the account number is wrong, what is going to happen to my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynB

I chose direct deposit for my return, but made a mistake on the account number I entered for my bank.

You will get your refund. If you entered the wrong account number, the bank is not going to know where to put your money and reject the deposit. It will be sent back to the IRS. When the IRS receives the rejected deposit, they will issue a paper check to the address on file. The IRS gives a timeframe of 6-8 weeks. I have been seeing this process go much faster than that.

You will be able to track the process of your check on the where is my refund tool as soon as the IRS receives it back and reissues it. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If my answer was helpful to you please vote up my answer so I know your issue is resolved. If you need more information or clarification, please comment on my answer so I can continue to work with you. Thank you.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CarolynB

You will get your refund. If you entered the wrong account number, the bank is not going to know where to put your money and reject the deposit. It will be sent back to the IRS. When the IRS receives the rejected deposit, they will issue a paper check to the address on file. The IRS gives a timeframe of 6-8 weeks. I have been seeing this process go much faster than that.

You will be able to track the process of your check on the where is my refund tool as soon as the IRS receives it back and reissues it. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If my answer was helpful to you please vote up my answer so I know your issue is resolved. If you need more information or clarification, please comment on my answer so I can continue to work with you. Thank you.

IRS said my refund was sent to my bank in May. It is now October 6th and I still  don't have my refund. What recourse do I have now?

One guy did my tax return and put his account number instead of putting mine what should I do to get my money back please and edit his bank account info on my files please 

@Jonathan7430 wrote:

One guy did my tax return and put his account number instead of putting mine what should I do to get my money back please and edit his bank account info on my files please 

Why did that happen?   Was the person trying to defraud you and take your refund?   What is the status of the refund--has your refund been released by the IRS, and has that preparer received your money in his account?    Normally a bank would refuse the deposit if the taxpayer's name is not the same as the name on the bank account, but it is possible for it to end up in a wrong account.

What do you see at the IRS website below for the status of your Federal refund?
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds
NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund. The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 20a.

@Muffyduffy42 wrote:

IRS said my refund was sent to my bank in May. It is now October 6th and I still  don't have my refund. What recourse do I have now?

@ Muffyduffy42 

What's the rest of the story?   Since this a thread about wrong accounts, did you have the wrong account number on your return when you filed it?   Did you talk to an IRS agent?   If so, what bank did the IRS say they sent it to?

Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of the Federal refund?  If you chose that option, the refund first goes from the IRS to an intermediary bank  where the fees are subtracted, then that bank sends it on to your bank account.

You may have already done so, but use this tool to confirm that the IRS has indeed sent your refund.  What is the status when you use this tool?

NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund. The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 20a.

Yeah my files has a wrong bank account number and they didn't charge me anything, I tried to contact IRS agent but it wasn't work they too busy with other people online and I just don't know if should I give up my money like that or what it so sad :(

@Jonathan7430 

You're posting out of order all over this old thread, so it may get confusing jumping around.  You posted under a comment that was addressed to someone else.

Did you talk to the person who prepared your return to ask them about it?

You didn't answer the following, so I'll ask it again:

Has the IRS actually sent the refund?  What do you see at the IRS website below for the status of your Federal refund?

Yeah IRS has sent the refund to that bank account number is on my files and about the person did that to me I talked to him but he said he doesn't know anything and he acts angrily like he doesn't care about my situation!

@Jonathan7430 wrote:

Yeah my files has a wrong bank account number and they didn't charge me anything, I tried to contact IRS agent but it wasn't work they too busy with other people online and I just don't know if should I give up my money like that or what it so sad :(

Jonathan7430:

Normally a bank will not accept an IRS deposit if it does not match the name on the account.  You'll need to talk to the IRS and see if the money was returned to them from the bank.   While you talk to them, tell them what happened and see what they advise.

Here's how to reach a live agent at the IRS:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Finally you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you don't get good info/results from the IRS, you can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area.   They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Yes, I made a mistake on my bank account number. I have not talked to an IRS rep yet, I'm still trying to get through to them.

Yes. IRS said they sent the check to my bank on May 2.

@Muffyduffy42 wrote:

Yes. IRS said they sent the check to my bank on May 2.

This thread is all jumbled up with multiple users, so it's getting very difficult to follow. Each of the people posting in this thread should have had their own separate thread, so it makes it confusing.

You said the IRS sent a "check" on May 2.  What do you mean by a "check?"   If it was a direct deposit, the IRS should have sent your refund as an electronic deposit of funds and not a check. 

How did you get that information about May 2?   Have you actually spoken to a live person at the IRS, or are you referring to the "Where's My Refund" tool?

It's hard to suggest anything, since your entire situation is still not clear, and I'm only getting bits and pieces instead of the full story.     Was the routing number correct?  i.e., did it go to the correct bank, but was deposited into the wrong account?  i.e., did your bank accept it even with the name and account number mismatch?  Have you spoken to your bank about it so they can see if it was indeed deposited into that wrong account number?

Normally, if the name does not match the account number, the bank would refuse the electronic deposit and send it back to the IRS, who would then send you a check in the mail to the address on the return.  Or a bank may send it back to an intermediary bank (see next paragraph) if you used the option to pay TurboTax fees out of your refund.   In that case it would be the intermediary bank that mails a paper check in the mail to the address on the return.

There could be an intermediary bank involved if you had any TurboTax product fees that you paid out of the refund.  Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of the Federal refund?  If you chose that option, the refund first goes from the IRS to an intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted, then that bank sends it on to your bank account.    If you chose that option to pay fees, we can tell you how to speak to the intermediary company that handles that.    If you did NOT have any TurboTax product fees or did not pay them that way, then this paragraph does not apply to you.

If you have not spoken to a live agent at the IRS, see the instructions I left another user in this same thread on how to reach one.  It tells you how to maneuver through their phone system to get to a live agent.

What edition did you use--did you use a free product, or did you use a paid edition (PLUS or higher)?  

If you used a paid product, we can tell you how to talk to TurboTax Support by phone.  It might be easier for them to figure out your situation in a realtime live conversation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies