turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

I have an SSN. I want to apply for an ITIN for my wife.We have been in US only since Nov 2013. I want to apply - "Married. applying jointly'.
I read the forums that, i need to apply for ITIN by filling up the W7 form along with the attested copies of passport (proof that she's a foreign national), which is ok. I wanted to know, how long will it take to get the ITIN for my wife ? Weeks or Days ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to apply for the ITIN together with your return and send it to the ITIN operations center.

See the instructions of form W7. 

Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Instructions for Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Once the ITIN is assigned, they will forward your return for processing and send you a letter with the ITIN.

Getting the ITIN takes about 6 weeks. Processing the return can take another month or two.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?
If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within six weeks. If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 to request the status of your application if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number).

View solution in original post

402 Replies
celiadorr

Can I prepare the form without a social security number and simply put in applied for?

You need to apply for the ITIN together with your return and send it to the ITIN operations center.

See the instructions of form W7. 

Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Instructions for Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Once the ITIN is assigned, they will forward your return for processing and send you a letter with the ITIN.

Getting the ITIN takes about 6 weeks. Processing the return can take another month or two.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?
If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within six weeks. If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 to request the status of your application if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number).

raheelajk

I filed my federal return on Feb 7th along with ITIN application. I received return on March 25th but since then I am waiting for ITIN. Its been almost 10 weeks now. Should I be worried?

IRS doesn’t accept e-file, since you are applying for the ITIN. So, you have to
send these forms (w7 and Federal return 1040 form) by post or by visiting any IRS center. First you will get ITIN number in 6-10 weeks by post from IRS, then IRS will directly deposit you federal tax refund in 4 weeks after that.

I submitted my docs on 22nd February and received the ITIN for my wife and child on 28th March through post. Now waiting for Federal return. Not sure how to check the status of my refund in this case

You are posting on a 2 yr old question.
kjones10

Hello, 

After I receive my ITIN numbers will I be able to submit my State return via e-file?

kjones10

After I receive my ITIN number, will I be able to submit my state taxes via e-file?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can efile if you have an ITIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tee5
Level 1

Hello,

I filed MFJ with my husband who needed an ITIN. We recently received our tax refund but no ITIN.

What can we do?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you attached Form W-7 to your tax return before filing, the ITIN application is processed and an ITIN is assigned before the tax return is processed.  I would assume the ITIN section's notices to taxpayers advising them of their ITIN are delayed due to the virus.

Your tax return is usually processed about 6 weeks after your ITIN is assigned.  If you have received your refund, that is a good sign.

See below from the IRS How do I apply for an ITIN?

You will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks if you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete.

Hi All,

I applied for the ITIN for my wife and kids on Feb 18th 2020 and filed my federal tax return along with it physically in the IRS office. Its almost 7 weeks and we haven't received the ITIN or the returns until now. Tried calling the IRS toll free number but the offices are closed due to COVID-19. Should I be worried ? 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

@santhoz

keikocpa129
Returning Member

Hi 

I have to send my daughter's passport with W-7 application( to apply ITIN number) as well as my federal tax return. I wonder IRS Austin Service Center is closed due to COVID-19? I called IRS number but no one answer due to COVID- 19. If I send a passport, they will do process  W-7 application?   

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I would not recommend sending the passport until you get confirmation that the ITINs are actively being processed and the Austin TX service center is operational- you may need the passport for travel,

@keikocpa129

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies