turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

Wait a minute ... you have the correct W-7 address to mail it to so how did the post office send it to 73301 ?   Depending on where you live that is where the return gets mailed not the W-7 ... hopefully the IRS will forward it to the correct place for you since many things get sent to the wrong office ... it just takes longer. 

I am hoping that is the case :( . I have a move coming up in June and I won't be at the present address if the ITIN arrives later than that. So, I'm stressed out if it will show up on time.

Once you have the new address do 2 things ... put in a forwarding with the post office  AND  mail in a form 8822 with the feds ...  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8822

Amihilek
Returning Member

It’s going on the 10th week since I’ve filed taxes and for my wife’s ITIN. Ironically her SSN for work showed up before I’ve even heard anything from the IRS. So, I’m literally waiting for any sign that it was even received. I wouldn’t be worried though, just try any way to contact them. 

celiadorr

If she has received a Social Security number for work you will no longer need an ITIN.  That is only used in the event you cannot get a Social Security Number.  So I would just go ahead and either wait or send an amended return with the Social Security number for her on it with an explanation that she has now received her Social and no longer needs the ITIN.  You can then also file the state taxes using that social.  From now on that is what you will use.  The Social Security number is for life.

keikocpa129
Returning Member

My understanding is that If I have refund position(I do not own taxes), I can file my taxes return within 3 years of the original deadline to claim my refund. Is this correct?

I already filed extension for 2019 Federal and NY states.

Since all IRS office is closing, I expect to receive ITIN number around  December/ end of year(maybe longer).  Since I do paper file my federal return, I have to do paper file NY states return. After I receive ITIN from IRS, then I have to paper file to NY states.(I can not mail out my NY states paper return until I receive ITIN number since I need to enter ITIN in NY return) Is this correct?

Just dropped by. Another two weeks have passed and still no update from IRS. :( on ITIN.

Is sitting back and waiting the only way here?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Most IRS offices and processing centers are currently closed and have been since around March 13, 2020.  So, unfortunately at this time, yes, waiting is the only way.

It is not yet known when normal processing is expected to resume.  You can expect a significant delay in the processing of your ITIN application.  

@roy2020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, 

I have sent my daughter's passport for ITIN along with the Fed tax return to Austin back in the first week of March. I have neither had any communication in this regard nor had my refund processed. IRS has suspended paper return processing indefinitely since beginning of April due to COVID. I am getting a bit paranoid about my daughter's passport as it has been 2 months. Only information I have is that the the documents are somewhere in an IRS building in Austin.

I would strongly suggest to wait until at least IRS telephone assistance is available.

Thanks  

Hi,

Have you received any reponse yet? I have applied on April 2nd at this address [PII removed] [social security number removed]

it indicated delivered but I have not heard back yet. I am worried now because i sent my husband original documents and on the other side my federal tax is not yet processed too with ITIN. 

Rina

As the folks said above, paper processing of the documents is currently halted indefinitely. 

I have not heard back either. So currently waiting.

The deadline is coming soon for July 15th. On the other hand, I cant file for state tax untill my federal is process and i receive ITIN. I am so stressed out. 

@roy2020  is your wife in USA? did you had to provide the passport or other supporting documents?

I am so worried. The tracking indicates delivered on April 2nd with a person but nothing received yet. On the other hand i sent original drivers license, State ID and original birth certificate of my husband. I really hope this gets resolve soon.

Thank you!

@rinagill I have not filed to statetax as well. so waiting on ITIN as well.

Yes, my wife is in the US. We did not send the documents, we actually used a CAA in our area to verify the document copies before the offices closed.

@rinagill - I am on the same boat as you are. Waiting on my daughter's ITIN , Fed return  and above all her passport. I have to file State return once I get the ITIN. If you are not owing anything to the state it does not matter if you file on or after the deadline. All we can do is wait at this time.

Thanks ! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies