Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why would CA state return still show as pending after 2 days?

The reason all of our state submissions were rejected was because of a software issue on Intuit's end:

"California return rejection We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software.Reject Code CA_Itemized"

Guess this is the nail in the coffin that no one from Intuit who responded in any of this thread can be trusted. None of you are reliable customer service employees.

Sanchez3
Returning Member

Wow! I have been loyal to TurboTax for many years and my CA state return was just rejected for, as they put it:

"We've Identified a potential issue due to an error in our software. "

This is ridiculous as will delay my return.  I resubmitted the return and will cross my fingers. Extremely disappointing with Turbo Tax

I got this same message....software error. 

Just resubmitted CA return.

Fingers crossed!

At least they admit the glitch is due to a potential issue in their software, a step towards right direction.

I do not like the wording  "potential" though. It was a show stopper.

I finally received my return was rejected.  Here's the exact message:

Your California tax return wasn't e-filed due to a potential issue in the return. There's a possibility you may be able to get additional California deductions that weren't available when you initially filed because of an error in our software. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any of the following expenses, we'll help you claim them and get your return filed: Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. If you don't qualify for these expenses, all you need to do is re-submit your tax return. What do I do next? If you're using TurboTax online: - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select Federal (left menu), and then Deductions & Credits (top menu). - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting State (left menu). - Select Edit for California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again). If you're using a CD or downloaded version of TurboTax: - Update TurboTax (visit our Support Site if you need help updating). - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select the Federal tab, then select Deductions & Credits. - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting the State Taxes tab. - Select California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again).

I went through and followed every single step indicated.  Some of the deduction items I previously had not gone through, but it didn't matter as I couldn't claim any of them.  I went through all of the deductions, changing nothing at all, then followed the steps and resubmitted.  I just sent it in a few minutes and I sincerely hope it goes through this time.  I will repost if and when it is accepted.

Now that we all re-submitted at the same time...we are about to cause a big delay in our acceptance. lol j/k

HMMM I just got a text that state rejected my return.....

This could be from earlier tho when it was rejected before I re-submitted it and just a lag in text message updates.

Got my rejection notice. Nothing to fix but clicked on “fix”. Submitted. Now we’ll see when the “pending” status is gone. 

@Jason707   Now it is CA FTB's turn to show its system's ugly side of scalability issue.

So I just got a text message four minutes after I submitted saying that it was rejected.  I sincerely hope that text message was part of the original email message (which was sent twenty minutes earlier) saying the same thing and this text was not addressing the latest submission.  

Anyone get a delay in the rejection message between their email message and text message, assuming you got both?  I just checked online and it still says pending.

jj7900

I just received an email from TurboTax stating that my state was rejected due to a software issue in their part ... just resubmitted again hoping everything goes well now ... 

Same here. Got the rejection notice, went in to fix and go over everything once again to make sure, but doesn’t seem like there wa a anything for me to fix. Just re-submitted the return and now the wait to see if it gets accepted. fingers crossed

Let's hope not! My friend did his on 2/15/21 via Turbo Tax and within the hour fed/CA state accepted it....just like all my past returns over the years. Fingers crossed! 

Yes see my previous post...I got the same text message about 20 min after I re-submitted my CA return. I hope it's just delayed messaging. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies