Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is my return still pending?

After being Pending for 7 days and then receiving an email from TurboTax saying that my Federal tax return was rejected  due  to  an error in Form 1116, I refiled my Federal and State (Illinois) without any changes made on form 1116:

• The returns were transmitted at: February 21, 2021, 1:10 PM PST 
  • The Federal tax return was accepted by the IRS at: February 21, 2021, 1:28 PM PST

I called TT again today. I’ve been in pending status 10 days now. The form 1116 does not apply to me so I know that’s not the holdup with mine. I took the survey after the call and left a brutally honest response. Soon after, I received an email saying that my case has been forwarded on to the resolutions team and I should expect a correspondence within 24 hours. Mayyyyybe if any of us had heard ANYthing from TT or Intuit by the 2/19 10 PM deadline as promised I would be more apt to have a little hope in seeing this. I guess we will see ... 

8C7FE3CC-E45F-4997-B4DB-54C9934FA632.jpeg

Reporting the same experience as @tellya235492 .  E-filed on 2/15 Fed and CA, pending until 2/21 10:43am PST when it showed REJECTED due to Form 1116 shenanigans.  Re-launched TurboTax (download version), which I'm sure updated since I e-filed.  Re-visited the foreign tax credit sections, made no actual changes, and re-e-filed (is that a word?) at 12:59pm PST.  By 1:27pm PST, the Feds ACCEPTED.

California is still PENDING though.  Wouldn't you know it -- I owed money to the Feds, but I'm getting a refund from the state! 😉

Yes I refiled also after going through the interview again.  I use app on PC not online. No new questions were presented to me.  No answers changed.  Form 1116 did not change.  Refiled and was accepted by IRS within 30 mins.  Seems like TT and/or IRS figured it out.  Good luck to those of you who had a different issue not related to a Form 1116 foreign tax credit.

@TCWinthrop wrote:

Reporting the same experience as @tellya235492 .  E-filed on 2/15 Fed and CA, pending until 2/21 10:43am PST when it showed REJECTED due to Form 1116 shenanigans.  Re-launched TurboTax (download version), which I'm sure updated since I e-filed.  Re-visited the foreign tax credit sections, made no actual changes, and re-e-filed (is that a word?) at 12:59pm PST.  By 1:27pm PST, the Feds ACCEPTED.

California is still PENDING though.  Wouldn't you know it -- I owed money to the Feds, but I'm getting a refund from the state! 😉

Update:  2:06pm PST:  California just ACCEPTED.  There's hope on the horizon for you others out there!

Same for me. Stepped through the form 1116 again and resubmitted. Both FED and CA State returns were accepted within an hour. 

@sty58d @Did you wait for rejected email or did you just refille and if you did was it on the site or app? I don’t have the foreign assets form in mine so I’m stuck trying figure out why I’m still pending

jmarie_89

My status is pending, and has not been accepted. There are no records with the IRS, stating that they received a return from me. Please get back to me as soon as possible its been almost 10 days, and no acceptance.

Received a "rejected" email (form 1116)

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/ForeignGrossIncomeAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries.

, went through the "smart check", TT says "no errors"...

To be on the safe side, I compared the form 1116 (2019 and 2020). I have foreign tax credits from two different brokerages. In 2019, TT created two columns (A & B) in form 1116 for me. In 2020, TT sums them up, only creates one column (A). I don't know if that's the problem. Anyway, I changed it to be like 2019 and submitted it. My foreign tax credit and tax refund values stay exactly the same. I got the first email (transmission confirmation) immediately. 14 minutes later, I got the second email (my federal tax return was accepted by IRS). 

Hope everyone can have a successful story like mine. People who would file taxes this early are responsible people (early filers shouldn't be cursed)! Wish you all the best!

All three of the returns I filed were accepted within 30 minutes of resubmitting.

Nothing changed on form 1116 - I compared the rejected filed to to resubmitted.

It appears to have been a problem with Tubotax efile process/coding, not what was in the actual return.

@sty58d Yes, I too use PC desktop version. I separated two foreign tax credits like TT did for me in 2019, resubmitted, and got accepted by IRS. I don't know if TT 2020 adding all foreign tax credits and putting the total in one column (A) in form 1116 is the culprit. 

Happy for you all that have gotten some resolution finally and have had your returns accepted. Now let’s hope that TT can continue to fix whatever glitches are holding the rest of us hostage in pending status. 

I got the message that it is rejected due to 1116 due to no entry found on foreign tax paid or accrued.  i clicked one, updated TT and refiled it at 3.35 pm EST.  It is transmitted but so far no news on acceptance by Fed.

Unless you get error message, TT does not allow me to refile it. sure there was a glitch in TT

Hope this time it gets accepted

Thank you.

PLM1103
Returning Member

Like several others in this thread, after being in pending status for 7 days, I finally received an email today that my federal taxes were rejected due to form 1116 having missing or invalid data. I checked my brokerage form and indeed the amounts downloaded into TT from the brokerage were incorrect. I manually re-entered foreign taxes paid. I do not recall having this issue in 2019. I resubmitted and federal turn was instantly accepted. Waiting on state. 

In future, I will not file before the end of February until all software glitches are resolved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies