turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkreik
Returning Member

Why is my refund taking longer than 21 days and is not showing up in the IRS Tracking tool?

Hi, 

It's been over 21 days since my federal filing has been accepted. I was supposed to receive my refund about a week ago but still nothing. When I enter my information on the federal tracking tool it says "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." I am sure I have the correct information input though.

Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Why is my refund taking longer than 21 days and is not showing up in the IRS Tracking tool?

It depends. The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review. Since the IRS online tool is not working for you, you can contact them directly at 800-829-1040. 

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.

Other things that can delay your refund include, but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information
  • Identity fraud
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kkreik
Returning Member

This number is out of service. Do you have another one or an email I can reach them with?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Why is my refund taking so long?

The IRS has a backlog of returns and refunds to process. All of the changes to the tax law and stimulus payments have slowed the process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies