Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Why is my colorado state still pending

The state of Colorado has started verifying identities in a new manner.  This is causing people to have delays in their refunds.  The IRS has done the same thing which is also causing delays for federal returns.  You can go to this site to check the status of your return, to be sure they received your return and also to read more on why CO is delaying return processing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've had an online account with the Colorado Department of Revenue for years and I am well aware of how to verify the status of my tax return online, and how to obtain information from its website. You mentioned that the IRS is employing a similar identity verification process to the one in Colorado. I filed my federal return at the exact same time as my Colorado return, and the IRS almost immediately verified that my return was received. The next day, the IRS processed my return, and, within a day or two, had already deposited a tax refund into my checking account. My issue with Colorado is not that my return hasn't been processed - it's that it hasn't even been received at all. There is no rational reason why electronically filed returns can't be received immediately - assuming they have been transmitted by the service provider. There is no compelling reason at all to assume that Colorado is responsible for the delay in initial receipt of my return. I have no way of verifying whether or not it has been properly transmitted by TurboTax. That is my concern.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

When you go into your TurboTax account, what does it say?  Does it say it was sent, or does it say print and mail or still give you the option to e-file?  If it does, then this would mean your return was either rejected or for some reason you did not transmit your return.  

You may also want to call customer service, they can look to see if their is record of a transmission and if so, provide you with the DCN for verification of transmission.  1-800-446-8848

The speed at which you received a refund from either the state or federal, does not have any impact on whether you are chosen for identity verification for the other agency.  You could be chosen to identify by one, both or neither. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My TurboTax desktop application has said since 2/2/2024, and continues to say, that my return is "Pending. It takes about 24 to 48 hours to process e-filed returns. In this time, returns are in a pending status. Come back in about 24 hours or check your email. We'll let you know as soon as your return is accepted." When I log on to the Colorado Department of Revenue's website, it says that my return has not been filed. I have confirmation from my desktop TurboTax app that my return was (supposedly) transmitted. You seem to think that I'm some kind of rube that doesn't know how to use tax filing software. You would be wrong about that. I would appreciate it if you would stop insulting my intelligence by implying that I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm in the same boat. Filed January 17th. Federal accepted same day. CO has been in pending. Says it was received by Turbo Tax Feb 1st then transmitted to CO on Feb 13th and changed to pending on the 13th.

CO site says I need to file. 

I’ve also filed 2/1 and as of today 2/18 it still shows pending and on the state tracker it shows they haven’t received it yet. 

ee-ea
Level 15

junamlee8
Returning Member

Mine has been pending since 2/13. They’re being extremely slow this year. Usually within 24 hours I would get a notification that state tax has been approved. I don’t know why they’re taking so long. 

JeanneS13

Colorado actually opened for submission on January 31, so its backlog between that date and now is greater than the 15 days you suggested.  Of course, it is going to take longer for them to catch up if they only started processing on February 12.  Yes, the state has always come quickly in the past, but the TABOR refund has spurred a lot of people to file early.  I just don't think the state was prepared.

Perhaps. I'm still not ready to lay the blame at Colorado's feet. The claim is that Colorado is processing returns on a first-in, first-out basis. I have yet to read a comment from anyone, regardless of when they filed with TurboTax, saying that their return has been accepted by the state. I'm not talking about being processed - only actually received and awaiting processing. TurboTax's electronic submission process is completely opaque from a user perspective, and it's not really possible to know where our electronic  returns are queued up - either in the state's system or that of TurboTax itself. I'm highly suspicious (albeit, without evidence to back it up) that the problem might not lie with Colorado, but there's no way to know. If Colorado has been open to receive returns since 2/12/2024 as it claims, whose returns are being accepted? Does anyone out there know of anyone whose TurboTax electronically filed Colorado tax return has been acknowledged as simply accepted (not processed - just accepted?) If so, when was it transmitted?

Yes, I've seen that story and others like it. Again, the question is NOT about our returns being actually processed - it is about their being acknowledged as received. When I've submitted returns in the past, I have always received an initial message that my return was received and awaiting processing, and then a second message after it was processed. There's a big difference between the two. In this case, I have yet to hear from anyone whose TurboTax electronically submitted Colorado return has even been received at all. It's perfectly understandable that processing would take much longer if there's a "backlog," but there's no rational reason that the state wouldn't simply receive electronically submitted returns if they were properly transmitted.

I dont think it's just turbotax I filed with freetaxusa this year and same thing happening with mine but I filed mine alot earlier January 31....still doesn't say accepted...it says submitted for efile

I don't believe that because my colorado return was submitted January 31....super duper early and it still hasn't been accepted.  If they were following FIFO I'm pretty sure my own would have been one of the first thousand or so to been accepted.....but ya know so flipping convenient they were late this year and then taking holiday on Monday that's greeaaat🙄

They need to be more transparent. I filed on Jan 17th. Not sure I could have even possibly filed earlier than that. 

Hoping Colorado at least shows it has my e-filing after Presidents day but I am not betting on it.

ee-ea
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies