Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why does Where’s my refund status tell me my information does not match?

I feel frustrated is an understatement! This has never happened to me! I'm actually on the line with someone right now, but it's been over 30 minutes ON HOLD.  You haven't got state or federal? 

Nope!! I haven’t gotten anything. I can’t get ahold of anyone either, TT or the IRS. 

@ Mttyler  wrote:

also the where is my refund tool is not accurate. I received my state return, and when I put that amount in with my information it says, "they don't have any information on my return." EVEN THOUGH I already received my state return in my bank account. This sugar honey iced tea is really starting to get on my nerves. 

The IRS "Where's My Refund" tool is only for Federal returns.

If you want to track a state refund, you have to use the particular state's refund lookup tool.   But you've said you have already received your state refund.   But if you just want to see how it works and test  your state's tool, see this:

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

As for the Federal return, did you efile?   If so, be sure the efiled return was accepted.  If using Online TurboTax, you can log in and look at the Tax Home to check.

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.  If you mailed a paper return, it can take at least 4 weeks to show up in the IRS WMR tool.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

Look, I was in the EXACT same boat as you, one day my WMR tracker worked just fine. The next, it tells me my info was incorrect, then all of a sudden, the tracker tool was back to displaying my refund status and my tax return had been deposited.

From what I’ve read, the IRS is more “back logged” than they’ve ever been. They’re still processing returns from 2020. Not only that, they are also dealing with an increase/influx of identity theft and are taking extra precautions to prevent that from happening/getting worse. 

I’m sure you will get your refund soon, just as I did. Believe me, I KNOW how hard it is to play this waiting game, in these uncertain times! I wish you all the luck in the world! 

Thank you. That is fixed now it's still saying we apologize but you refund will be delayed... 

This makes me feel a little better. The refund tracker says it doesn’t have any information on me though, that’s what worries me. 

I think it's when the system is backed up. It will get right for you. I waited and checked the next day and my information popped back up.

I had to mail my return in, do you  that’s why it hasn’t shown up yet? 

I did get ahold of a representative. She said systems are backed up and it's taking longer than normal for processing. She told me that personally, they were still reviewing mine. If you are still waiting for your return, she said it may not come until May for some people.  Again, that's if you haven't received anything at all. 

It’s been 6 weeks and I still have no gotten my money, I’m getting angry at this point. 

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

See this help article here for more information. Also, tax refunds are handled by IRS. You would need to contact the IRS for further assistance regarding this matter as they are the only ones that can look into your account. Their phone number is 800-829-1040. When calling, be sure to have the following:

• Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  • Your filing status (Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint, or Married Filing Separate)
  • Your prior-year tax return (they may ask you questions from it to verify your identity)
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters they may have sent you
  • Paper and pen to take notes—make sure to write down the day you called and the name and ID number of the agent you spoke to, as well as any instructions or deadlines you were given.

Please note: You may experience a delay, long hold times, or a busy signal when trying to contact them as the IRS lines are extremely busy at this time of year.

@Meganhope_

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’ve tried speaking to the IRS, I can’t get an actual person. The automated thing says they have no information and the “where’s my refund?” does too. It’s been 6 weeks and I still haven’t not received my money. 

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Since your tax refund is taking longer than the typical 21 days to receive, are you using the contact information in this FAQ regarding  What to do if it's been over 21 days.

@Meganhope_

Denntim1452
Returning Member

Has it changed yet? Any new news? I’m in the same boat. 

Denntim1452
Returning Member

Has anything changed? Still shows information doesn’t match? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies