turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did we only received half the stimulus, we filed Married Filing Jointly and received $600 today not $1200, our AGI was 82,879?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies

Why did we only received half the stimulus, we filed Married Filing Jointly and received $600 today not $1200, our AGI was 82,879?

I would also like this question answered. My family received our payment late, on January 8. However, it is half what my family of three expected -- $900.  It should have been $1800.

According to my research, there were to be no offsets or other reductions to the second stimulus payments, regardless of well anything. 

So, TurboTax, where's the rest of our money?

TurboTax cannot tell you that.  You can find out from the IRS.

@richfieldmall - while no one can explain "why", there is a 'settle up' section on the 2020 tax return where everything will be reevaluated again,  Anything missing will end up on Line 30 of Form 1040 and result in a larger refund (or less tax owed)

$900 is an odd number.  for any reason does your 2019 tax return show filing single or separate? or does your spouse have an ITIN and not an SS# - I am just guessing at why the odd number.  But again, it will all be reconciling on the 2020 tax return. 

Same situation here. First stimulus came through with no issues. This time, We only got half of what we were expecting.

@Mlcstar1 - would suggest waiting to see if there is a 2nd deposit coming....  the IRS doesn't accept returns until the end of January and they will continue to send out payments through Jan 15, so waiting to see how the dust settles will save a lot of time in the end.

Further, if it helps any, the 2nd stimulus was based on your 2019 tax return while the 1st stimulus was based on 2018 or 2019 - whatever the IRS had available at the time

Both 2018 and 2019 are well below the Married Filing Jointly cut off. The first stimulus came through no trouble at all. I understand the issue Turbo Tax first had with the delay, however, I do not understand the half payment this time around. I had read about the Line 30 Credit for any funds not received, would just be nice to have it now. 

I think it’s a married filing jointly issue. I got exactly 1/2 (meaning half what we were supposed to get for our 2 kiddos too). 

No, my income is far less than 75,000. Now, with the quarantines, etc., even lower, despite my programming and research analyst background.

At first, I wondered if Betsy DeVos' machinations had re-awoken my old student loan debts, resulting in my half of the stimulus payments being offset, but from what I could find, the IRS specifically blocked any offsets with the stimulus payments. There were no offsets on the previous stimulus payments, which we received, in full, with no problems.

Whether it's another IRS programming mistake -- or TurboTax just decided to boost its bottom line #oops -- this is an error. It is exactly half what we were due.

I do not imagine that I would be the only one. Reading online, there are many getting half what they expected.

This appears to be a systemic error.

Indeed, it is simply impossible to imagine being anything else. 

@richfieldmall 

1. There are no offsets for the 2nd Economic Impact Payment.  Go to this U.S. Treasury website - https://fiscal.treasury.gov/top/faqs-for-the-public-covid-19.html

2. TurboTax is not a bank, it cannot send or receive a stimulus payment so it cannot pad its bottom line with a stimulus payment.  Only the IRS controls when and if a stimulus payment is distributed.

Go to this IRS get my payment website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If you do not receive any other stimulus payments by January 15, 2021, then the stimulus payment for which you are eligible to receive will be entered on your 2020 federal tax return as a tax credit on Form 1040 Line 30.

The TurboTax program will ask about stimulus payments in the Federal Review section of the program.

Sometimes married couples get separate checks/deposits  for unknown reasons ...  so wait until 1/20 and if a paper check or deposit  for the balance doesn't show up then apply for the missing money on your tax return.  

The stimulus checks are  an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.  It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

The IRS will stop mailing checks on 1/15 so if you don't get it by the time the efiling opens at  the end of the month you can apply for the missing money on the 2020 return.  

CAUTION to those eager to jump the gun ... if you do NOT enter the correct amount of stimulus the IRS  did pay you in advance then expect your eagerness to delay your return being processed. And since the IRS is still suffering from understaffing due to the covid situation and perpetual underfunding  and they are also stretched thin managing the last minute tax law/form changes on top of sending out second stimulus payments  expect the delays to be long.  

I will say we are grateful TurboTax has been working to get us anything... it’s just bizarre that it is EXACTLY half. When I checked the IRS tool earlier this week it said I wasn’t eligible after it initially showed it having been send on 1/4. 

There have been several posts saying the same thing odd as it is  ... all anyone can do is wait and see what washes out in the end.  

@Mlcstar1 - again, suggest waiting it out to se if the other half arrives, if you file that it wasn't received and then it appears, it'll be a big headache.  IRS is required by law to stop sending out payments in 1/15, so the mail should clear by Jan 27, which is the first date the IRS is accepting tax returns so there is really no incentive to file any earlier than 1.27, esp. if the payment arrives before then. 

I bet you filed married filing separate and your spouse got the other half.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies