Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

20ynurse

Where do I find box d on my w-2 tax statement?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
GeoffreyG

Form W-2 (wage statement) Box D is called the Control Number field.  It is usually located below or near the Employer's Name and Address, but you may have to look very carefully for it, as it can occasionally be in a different place.  Sometimes there is no Box D Control Number at all.  Since the W-2 wage statement is issued by many different employers, in many varied formats, there really isn't a single solution that always describes where the Control Number may be found on any specific, individual, W-2.

That said, the Box D Control Number is a code that uniquely identifies your unique W-2 document in your employer's records. This number is assigned by the company's payroll processing software, and is only needed if attempting to electronically import your W-2 into a tax software program (like TurboTax).  Please note that not all W-2s (or employers) will necessarily include or support a Box D Control number.  Your alternative to importing a W-2 document is to simply input the same information manually.

The actual Control Number itself is not necessary in completing your tax return.  In other words, the W-2 Control Number, whatever it is, will never increase or decrease your actual tax refund (or your amount owed) by a single penny.

If you choose to type in your W-2 manually, rather than importing it electronically, then you should not have to enter anything from Box D at all, if you do not want to.  In fact, you can simply leave the field blank.  The exceptions to that would be if you are attempting to e-file your return and see some sort of W-2 Control Number related error; or if the program insists on a value before allowing you to continue.  In those cases, we have a TurboTax FAQ article that can help.  Directly below this text is a link to that FAQ page below.

Thank you for asking this question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4417180

luisa72

Re: Where do I find box d on my w-2 tax statement?

Under the employer name and address.  But you don't need it.  See
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/i-have-no-box-d-or-control-number-on-my-w-2/00/26469

The control number in box d is not required by the IRS - it is used by your employer. As a result, if it causing you trouble, just delete it. If it is not causing you trouble, then leave it in - it won't matter.

W2 box d

W2 box d.jpg

Anyone?

My post above and screenshot are a year old but should still be right.  Didn't they help?

W2 box d Control number is not needed.  See

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/i-have-no-box-d-or-control-number-on-my-w-2/00/26469

The control number in box d is not required by the IRS - it is used by your employer.  As a result, if it causing you trouble, just delete it.  If it is not causing you trouble, then leave it in - it won't matter.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you're getting an error trying to Efile or import a W-2, here's more info on Box D.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There's no box D on my W2 so I did what it said and entered five numbers and then a space and five numbers and it's still not letting me continue

It's not allowing me to put five numbers in the space in the five numbers and it's not allowing me to leave a blank and continue what do I do in order to continue

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If this is concerning Box d on your W-2, leave it blank.

Box d on a W-2 is for a "Control Number". 

A Control Number is something that your employer's payroll department uses. 

It has nothing to do with taxes, tax software does not use it. 

Usually, the control number your payroll department uses works when entered on the TurboTax W-2 screen, but if it doesn't fit or shows as an error, simply delete it and leave that box blank. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies