Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where can I find the 8915 F form on the TurboTax app?

You could do that too, although my workaround takes about 30 seconds and doesn't require deleting any forms.

bguerrero
Returning Member

@BarryGraham  Unfortunately I use TurboTax Online so there is no Forms Mode. Know of any other way? 

bguerrero
Returning Member

I've tried deleting the form and re-entering the information. The system still makes the same error. The distribution was made in 2021 and it keeps checking the box for 2020 on the 8915F. Its also not putting the FEMA code in the correct format of XX-NNNN-ST. It is putting it as NNNN-XX-ST. Which is my guess as to why the return was immediately rejected.

Please use my workaround. It's quicker and it works.

bguerrero
Returning Member

There is no Forms Mode on the Online version so I am unable to do it that way. I wish I could!

I even called in to speak with someone from TurboTax, used the screen sharing feature, and they couldn't figure it out either. 

ChicagoBulls
Returning Member

The TT instructions are very confusing. I am using the TT web version. I took a covid distribution in 2020.  I have a 1099-R from 2020. I elected to spread the tax over 3 years. 

Step 16 and 17 from the instructions "How do I use Form 8915 to report my 2020 COVID-related retirement distributions?" state the following:

16. Review Part II of your 2020 8915-E form

17. See if the box on line 9 is checked 

•  If this box is checked, enter 0 in the first box under the section in TurboTax
  • If this box isn’t checked, enter the amount from line 9 in the first box under the section in TurboTax

However, on the "Did [My Name] take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" screen in TurboTax it says to refer to the "2021 Form 8915F".

On this screen I have several boxes - where am I supposed to enter the 1/3 amount for my 2023 tax return? TT has already prefilled 1/3 of the Amt. from prior years on two of these lines (lines 12 and 13).

On my form 8915E from my 2020 return, box 9 has 1/3 of the Amt. However on form 8915F from my 2021 return, line 11 has 0.

The instructions say "If this box is checked, enter 0 in the first box". What is the first box? Is it the one below that refers to "2021 Form 8915F, line 11"?

Do I enter 1/3 of the Amt in the first line here to match line 12 and line 13? And which form am I supposed to actually use? Instructions say 8915E, yet the screen itself says to use 8915F. Very odd.

2021 Form 8915F, line 11, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0 <---- AM I SUPPOSED TO ENTER 1/3 Amt HERE?
2021 Form 8915F, line 12 <------ TT HAS 1/3 Amt pre filled
2021 Form 8915F, line 14 <------ TT HAS 0 pre filled
2021 Form 8915F, line 13 <------ TT HAS 1/3 Amt pre filled

Sorry, my mistake then.  That's pretty interesting that the same bug exists in both forms of the program. It looks like you can indeed delete but not edit a form in the online version.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Did you try to delete both "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information?

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

@bguerrero 

@ChicagoBulls 

No, you do not enter anything for line 11. Yes, lines 12 and 13 will have 1/3 of the distribution amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ChicagoBulls
Returning Member

Thank you @DanaB27 but that is rather confusing. Don't I need to enter another line item for the other 1/3 of the Amt.?  Aren't line 12 and 13 for the prior two years? Isn't line 11 supposed to be for tax year 2022? If I don't enter anything in line 11 then my tax obligation goes way down. At this point I have only paid 1/3 of the Amt. for two years and I still owe the final 1/3. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you don't enter anything in line 11 if you are only reporting the 3rd portion of the 2020 Covid distribution

Entering the amount on lines 12 and 13 will carry 1/3 to line 15 which will be included in line 5b of your Form 1040. Please ignore the income summary during the interview when it shows $0. Please check Form 1040 to check if it is included in line 5b.

Also, verify Form 8915-F that you have no entry on line C. If you do follow the steps mentioned above to delete it. 

@ChicagoBulls 

ChicagoBulls
Returning Member

@DanaB27 Thank you. It looks like on my tax year 2021 (filed in 2022), on my 8915-F on line C I have "COVID".

So I am assuming I need to follow the instructions to delete this? Also, per your instructions to delete the form - I only have the option to delete "Form 8915F-T". There is no option for Form 8915-F. Is 8915F-T the correct form to delete? I do also a form named "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr". I need to delete them both?

On my 8915-F it's listed as follows:

C FEMA number for each of your disasters for the year checked in item B above. Use item D, not item C, for the coronavirus.
(1)  COVID (2) _______  (3) _______  (4) _______  (5) _______  (6) _______

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, delete the Disaster Worksheet in TTO.  In TTD, open the Worksheet and delete 'Coronavirus'.

@ChicagoBulls 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies