Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lubar1354

Where can I file a second amended return for 2021? I made an error on the first amendment?

In TurboTax - Intuit I filed the amendment. There was an error on that amended return. I need to correct this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Where can I file a second amended return for 2021? I made an error on the first amendment?

Do NOT send in a second amended return until the first amended return has been fully processed.  

How to Amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

lubar1354

First amendment has processed. 

first, print 1040-X No. 1 and a complete copy of your revised tax return.

Two, cancel the amendment and delete Form 1040-X.  1040 should retain your revisions.

Three, Click AMEND,

Four, make your revisions for 1040-x No. 2.

Compare Form 1040-X No. 2 to 1040-X No. 1.

Explain the differences in Part III.

@lubar1354 

Second amendment must be paper filed ... it cannot be efiled.

@fanfare 

This is why the "cancel amendment" only removes the 1040X form in the program and doesn't remove the first changes.  Some folks think by cancelling the amendment  it should also put the changes back to the original filing status but this would be harmful.  

IRS says it would support three e-Files of 1040-X.

TurboTax should do better if only one is supported.

My professional program actually has the efile choices of X-1, X-2, X-3  however I don't believe the TT program has those designations needed by the IRS ... maybe they will in the future however the TT program is written for the average non tax professional in mind which mean limitations are inevitable. 

I don't see why any designator is needed by IRS.

That would be for the convenience of the tax preparer.

Using Turbotax 2022 desktop premier. I made a copy of the tax2022  file, that I used to make my first amendment, under a new name, and saying I wanted to amend that. As others found, when it prepares the 1040x, it uses the original AGI etc, and did not use the amended values as a new starting point.

I did not understand "Two, cancel the amendment and delete Form 1040-X. 1040 should retain your revisions." I deleted the 1040-X.  The remaining file has the revised AGI, and from that starting point, it looks good. I was concerned that it shows a refund coming, and with the first revision, I had to send money. So TT did not seem to recognize that.

But I continued on. Again I told TT that I wanted to revise that return, and selected the tax2022 file that I had just been working on. Good news: it shows that I owed a small amount, rather than the refund of my first pass.

Now I paid the amount plus penalty. So I am thinking that I will just enter the non-penalty part as a tax payment. Am I on the right track so far?

And fanfare, thanks for your post.

Penalties: IRS says:
Subtract any penalty from the amount you owe reported on original 1040.
Don't try to include, but ignore, any new or changed penalty.
IRS will calculate your new penalty on their own and will bill you.

--

if you already sent an amount that included some penalty,

include that all on Line 16.

Note: 1040-X doesn't have a line for penalty.

@TaxHacks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies