turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When should I expected my taxes after receiving the acceptance emails?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The IRS says 9 out of 10 filers who efile and choose direct deposit will get their refunds within 21 days. While that's true for most people, that still leaves a considerable number of people who do not. Some returns take longer for additional processing due to specific items in the return. Some are pulled at random for more thorough investigation.

Once your efiled return has been accepted, then you can follow your refund status with this IRS tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds
NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.   The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

NOTE:  By law the IRS will not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until February 15 at the earliest.    So filers who have one of those credits likely will not receive the refund before late February or possibly early March.

And for state returns, there is no general time frame.  There are over 40 state tax agencies, each doing their own thing.  Some states are quick with refunds, while other states are painfully slow.

Once your state return (if applicable) has been accepted, here's how to track it:

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

While at your state tax agency's website, look at their FAQs.   It may say about how long it takes to get a refund in your state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies