turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I filed my taxes I had not received the 2nd stimulus and claimed it on my taxes. After submitting taxes I received payment. What is going to happen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

When I filed my taxes I had not received the 2nd stimulus and claimed it on my taxes. After submitting taxes I received payment. What is going to happen?

Most probably the IRS will make the necessary adjustments before releasing the refund. If they don't, you'll have to amend your return. 

How do I amend my 2020 return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for responding.

One more question, how will I know if I need to,  or when to amend or if I just leave it alone?

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

You can leave it for now. You have to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.

Ok thank you. So the irs will still issue the full amount, and then I do the amend? And just return the amount for stimulus? Or will they issue return minus stimulus? IRS accepted return on 2-10 and my status still says processing.

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

More than likely the IRS will subtract the stimulus that crossed paths with the filing of the return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies