turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When can I amend my 2020 tax return?? I forgot 5 W-2’s and I need to add them in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

When can I amend my 2020 tax return?? I forgot 5 W-2’s and I need to add them in

If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

So I cant amend it til 2021 ?? Because my return already got approved?  

@a3013dfc9da4 wrote:

So I cant amend it til 2021 ?? Because my return already got approved?  

The 2020 federal tax return that you filed was filed in calendar year 2021.  You can amend the 2020 tax return when the Form 1040-X becomes available 03/25/2021.

Or are you referring to a 2019 tax return that you filed during calendar year 2020?

If so, see this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

No I’m not talking about 2019 , I’m talking about 2020 ? I have 5 w-2’s that I forgot to add 

@a3013dfc9da4 wrote:

No I’m not talking about 2019 , I’m talking about 2020 ? I have 5 w-2’s that I forgot to add 

Then as stated - The 2020 federal tax return that you filed was filed in calendar year 2021.  You can amend the 2020 tax return when the Form 1040-X becomes available 03/25/2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies