turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BB_14

What if I got another W-2 Form after filing my return & getting a refund?

A couple of weeks after filing my tax return, I received another W-2 that came from a small settlement worth a couple hundred dollars. My return was accepted and I have since received my refund. Can I apply the W-2 to next year's taxes?

On another note, I've seen articles that state an amended tax return (1040X) should be filed in my case BUT I have also seen articles that state NOT to file an amendment if only reporting an additional W-2 (in this case, one should wait for contact from the IRS). 

Which is true? What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
noah717-

This answers nothing .....

Hi there BB_14,

You filed your 2013 return and have already received your refund, but now you have an additional W-2 and would like to know how that changes things and what the next steps are. We can help with that.

Should you amend or not, that is not something we can decide for you. Here is a link I think will help.

How do I Know If I Need to Amend

As for how an amended return effects your return :

he IRS treats the Original return and the Amended return as two separate transactions. What this means for you is the IRS will process your Original return and send you a bill (if you owe) or a refund (if they owe you).

The IRS will then send you another bill (if you owe them) or another refund (if they owe you more) after they process the Amended return.

Hope this helps, if you need additional information please let us know.

Christopher

Send you a bill??? Are you joking??  Sure they will send a bill --- it's called an audit letter along with interest and possible penalties.  

BB_14 - You cannot claim your W-2 next year.  You should amend and report the income.

Once you file it is like dropping it into the mail - it is gone and cannot be changed.

To amend your 2013 tax return:

-- First, wait to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state.
-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.
-- If accepted you must wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid.  (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).
-- Then you can start the amend process.  
-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

You can check the status of your mailed amended return at this link but allow 3 weeks after mailing before checking.
<a href="http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-%28Form-1040-X%29/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-%28Form-1040-X%29/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1</...>

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:
<a href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1971653-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-2013-return-in-turbotax" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1971653-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-2013-return-in-turbotax</...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
sssethay

What if I got another W-2 Form after filing my return &amp; getting a refund?

Hi! For my situation, I haven't got the refund yet but the status shows that my return has been received by the IRS. I already have waited for more than 21days since the day I e-filed my return. What should I do?

21 days is not a magic number.   The IRS will not give any commitment at all for 2014.   They said in 2013 that *most* refunds were processed within 21 days, but that is just an average - some are faster and some take longer.  They are really looking closely for possible fraud this year.   They have also said that due to budget cuts up to 50% of all calls to the IRS will not be answered and to expect delays with processing refunds.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
sssethay

Should I wait for the refund or amend now? Thank you.

Wait.   Read the above.
noah717-

So what your saying is; wait on your current return before you file your late w2's... Got it. An American getting answers in American is like riding an endless marry-go-round...

If I filled my w2 and its got accepted and I got other w2 from other job can I fill that one two

Tess Max

Hi, 

I got the same situation. I was reading the Amend rights.  When can I get Amend form, beside turbo tax for 2019

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to Amend your Return, if you have already filed and received more W-2's.. Wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

Where's my amended return?

Amended Returns & Form 1040X

Additional Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But I filed 4 days ago and then I got a w2 so I added it and turbo tax changed my refund amount and said federal accepted and it shows my new amount so what do I do? However now when I check the where is my refund it says I am entering wrong refund amount?

My question is to the person who posted yesterday who is above me...

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to Amend your Return if you have already filed and received more W-2's.. Wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or confirmation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

Where's my amended return?

Amended Returns & Form 1040X

Additional Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies