Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgwhaley
Returning Member

VERIFY IDENTITY

I filed on 1/29 and still had not received my return so yesterday, I called and they informed me that I was now under review and to expect a letter within 21 days to explain.  I could not understand why the letter wasn't sent before I called, so I called again this morning and the woman that barely spoke English informed me that a letter had been sent out on 2/19 requesting verification of my identity and I told her I had not gotten any letter and that is not what the operator the previous day said.  Considering I filed the same as last year through Turbo Tax with the exception of working a full year with my employer, not half, why would I need to verify when I paid for the extra services provided by Turbo Tax and used all the same info.  My address hasn't change, my dependent hasn't changed, etc......and the status on the IRS page states it's still processing.  Why cannot I not go to the local IRS department and prove my identity instead of having to wait on a letter?  I am a single mom, and I live pay check to pay check, needing these funds to take care of bills and pay my daughters college fees and now I am told it can take until August once I confirm my identity, if I ever get this letter they say I have to have.  I am so frustrated and getting answers or help is like pulling teeth.  If I owed the IRS, they would take what was theirs, but they make us wait instead of offering solutions that are efficient and actually make sense.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

VERIFY IDENTITY

I was told the same on 2 14 just got the letter yesterday verify  today I don't know  what ndy

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

VERIFY IDENTITY

@jgwhaley  Feel your pain and aggravation.  One thing you mention is actually an option:  going to the local IRS office for the ID check.  The initial option when you receive the letter is through the internet.  But you can go to the IRS office itself to ID.  Hope this helps some.  

These identity checks are totally random, and produced by the IRS itself.  The idea is to protect all of us from tax fraud and tax identity fraud.  But I can comprehend how someone living paycheck to paycheck feels the pinch with this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jgwhaley
Returning Member

VERIFY IDENTITY

Then why does it take up to 9 weeks to receive your return after verifying?  Do they throw you to the back of the line after randomly selecting you for this verification. I was told I would have it 21 days from filing and now it’s 9 weeks.....I do not understand the process.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

VERIFY IDENTITY

A review of refund letter from the IRS is not the same thing as an audit.  There are many reasons that the IRS may review or hold a refund, such as:

• You have unfiled or missing tax returns for prior tax years.
  • The check was held or returned due to a problem with the name or address.
  • You elected to apply the refund toward your estimated tax liability for next year.
  • The IRS is reviewing your tax return.
  • Your refund was applied to a debt you owe, to the IRS or another federal or state agency.

It is hard to say how long the IRS review process will take.  Here are some general guidelines that are posted on the IRS taxpayer advocate website:

If you provide the information the IRS requested, the IRS should correct your account and resolve the refund issue (generally within 60 days). 

If you file a missing or late return, the IRS will process your returns and issue your refunds (generally within 90 days).

If you don’t provide the information or file the missing returns, your refund will be delayed longer.

If you file an amended tax return (IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return), the IRS should make any necessary adjustments and issue the refund (generally within 120 days).

If you’re facing serious financial difficulties and need your refund immediately, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service It may be able to expedite your refund.

For more information, see this website:  https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/held-or-stopped-refunds

jgwhaley
Returning Member

VERIFY IDENTITY

None of the you mentioned, as it was told to me here, it was a random selection to verify identity.  

VERIFY IDENTITY

I was told the same I came the advocates  was worthless 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

VERIFY IDENTITY

If the IRS has selected your return to review, the only thing you can do is be patient and wait. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies