turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two accounts

I realized that turbo tax let me sign up for a new account regardless of an existing account with the very same email. It's 2020 -- the standard for professional websites, the expectation, is they will inform users if they are creating a second account with the same email. This could have been avoided if it was like any other website that has measures set up to prevent human error such as this. 

Regardless, is there any possibility this will affect my stimulus money? I have not received anything yet and I'm grasping at straws what the problem is. I cannot put food on the table right now. I only have several friends not to received the stimulus -- they all used turbotax free edition. Is this just a coincidence?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Two accounts

This is a self prepared tax website.  TurboTax allows up to 5 accounts that can be tied to the same email address.  Allot of people use the same email for different accounts.  

Allot of people have not receive their stimulus money, it is on the news, it is not just because you filed with TurboTax.  If you e-filed & your return was accepted, then it is up to the IRS when refunds & stimulus money is sent out.  TurboTax does not get any information about refunds or stimulus money once your return is accepted.

It is taking the IRS longer to process returns since they are closed & they are not receiving phone calls.  They are still processing e-filed returns but the 21 days (business days) is not the standard now due to Covid-19.  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns at this time.

All you can do now is keep checking the IRS website, Where's My Refund, the website updates once a day.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

You can check on the status of your stimulus payment at the IRS Get My Payment site.

How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Two accounts

Each account has to have it's own User ID but you can use the same email for several accounts so this will not issue a warning ... this is handy for doing dependent's returns after the parent's returns so the same email can get all the TT messages instead of opening individual email accounts for all the minor children.

And having multiple accounts is not an issue for the IRS ... they don't care.   It only becomes an issue for the user if they lose access to those email accounts ... which is another reason for not using the email for the UserID. 

Now if you have filed a return and it was accepted for processing you can check up on the refund ...

For your tax refund - go here

For your stimulus payment - go here 

Two accounts

This is a self prepared tax website.  TurboTax allows up to 5 accounts that can be tied to the same email address.  Allot of people use the same email for different accounts.  

Allot of people have not receive their stimulus money, it is on the news, it is not just because you filed with TurboTax.  If you e-filed & your return was accepted, then it is up to the IRS when refunds & stimulus money is sent out.  TurboTax does not get any information about refunds or stimulus money once your return is accepted.

It is taking the IRS longer to process returns since they are closed & they are not receiving phone calls.  They are still processing e-filed returns but the 21 days (business days) is not the standard now due to Covid-19.  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns at this time.

All you can do now is keep checking the IRS website, Where's My Refund, the website updates once a day.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

You can check on the status of your stimulus payment at the IRS Get My Payment site.

How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

Two accounts

I don't understand your reasoning that this is up to standard... Maybe I just don't understand.

It's not way the majority of account creation pages work now in 2020 (banks, email, education sites, insurance websites, etc.). How is it standard to not let people know they have more than one account with the same email, regardless how many times you can use your email? When creating an account online for anyone else in 2020 there is technology used to avoid human error. You expect the website to inform you or this sort of thing before creating an account, isn't that what you expect from websites nowadays -- the standard you expect? 

So to clarify your answer to my question, it is in fact just a major coincidence that so many people who used turbo tax are now without the payment? There is no possibility whatsoever there is something else going on here with people who used turbotax?

Two accounts

did you 

• pay your fee  out of your refund
  • take a refund advance loan
  • put your refund on a debit card.

many are complaining that these actions have caused issues.

None of them is available via the free edition.

Two accounts

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. 

Some more background,

The IRS get my payment website is down for me every day saying they don't have my information yet. Tracking my returns it said "accepted" and "processed" and that I would be getting my returns on 4/20/20. I know it seems redundant to ask where the stimulus and return money is when so many people are without it still. The reasoning for my concern though is because nearly all Americans have received the money now and most of those still waiting are in the higher income bracket. People who didn't even do taxes and submitted the non-filers long after I did my taxes are getting the stimulus money. That's why I'm becoming a bit nervous that I have been hacked or as I read in the news, the possibility of Turbo tax having an issue. 

Two accounts

@Dakota734 

The IRS/state could not care less what userID/password or email address you use with the TT program or even how many accounts you have  ...  so it has absolutely no bearing on your refund situation.

Also know that TT is a DIY program and once  you have successfully efiled the return the program has no effect on what the IRS/state does with your return.  They never touch your refund ...  however if you choose to have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund then your refund went to a third party processing bank.   If the IRS sends a refund or stimulus check and the direct deposit is rejected  by the bank the IRS will automatically mail a check to the address on the return ... nothing you or anyone else  can or need to do about it. 

Check the progress yourself ....

For your tax refund - go here

For your stimulus payment - go here 

Two accounts

The TT site will always show "accepted" (for processing) ... that will never change since the program gets no further updates on your return progress. 

The IRS site will remain "processing" until it is APPROVED for dispersal then a date will be provided.  The virus close the IRS down effectively for more than 8 weeks thus the entire system is behind and there is nothing you can do but wait patiently.  

Two accounts

Okay, I thank you for the information.

The waiting isn't the problem, I'm good with patience. I understand everything is slowed way down and I understand slowness due to the virus. The problem for me is the indicators that there is something amiss here. That logically something is wrong.  

For instance, I had another family member finally access her "get my payment" page and the address she had been entering did not match her taxes. We found a hacker had logged into her account and changed the address to something entirely different within the past few weeks. This is cause for logical concern and why I reach out for any information of why especially so many Turbo tax users are still waiting.  This seems like potentially a bigger problem than just "waiting patiently because its coming" sort of thing.  It wouldn't be the first Turbo Tax specific hack. It happened before on a large scale. You're right though there nothing to do but wait I guess. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies