Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax had a software glitch and claimed Line 30 recovery rebate. I did not do this. TurboTax did. Now my refund is delayed weeks! Can you Refund my TurboTax fees now.

Same thing happened to me. Plus,  it calculated my refund wrong so I’m getting less!  Disappointing 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax had a software glitch and claimed Line 30 recovery rebate. I did not do this. TurboTax did. Now my refund is delayed weeks! Can you Refund my TurboTax fees now.

@charishpaul

It is possible that the IRS will correct an erroneous entry on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit.

Amended tax returns are not available to file before March 26. See forms availability.

If you didn’t get a first or second  payment or got less than the full amounts, you may qualify for the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return even if you don’t normally file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For everyone.... I don't recall any "glitches" or problems with the Recovery rebate credit on early returns.  If you got a wrong amount on line 30 you may have entered the amounts you already received wrong or got the second Stimulus payment after you filed.  The second round was just going out when Efiling opened up.  So they may have crossed in the mail.

fanfare (level 15): This is putting all the responsibility on the customer. With all the worksheets for Social Security, etc. the customer has to trust TT to a certain degree. Your advice sounds more like a "pass the blame" to the customer solution.

I agree, you should download and review your 1040 before e-filing. However, all the questions, etc. "lead" the customer to purchase additional features, or pay and file. Turbotax even has a little animated screen that shows Turbotax reviewing your Federal and State returns. Why should a customer think he can do a better job? Finally, it is most important to review name, address, and other information that the customer himself provides to TT. Actually reviewing all of the numerical entries is ridiculous.

Line 30 is brand new this year and most customers had no special awareness of it prior to filing their taxes. It is insulting to expect the average customer "to verify that Line 30 does not have incorrect amounts". Nobody knows there's a problem with Line 30 until it's a problem. TT should have been proactive about this issue instead of raising the castle door to protect themselves. This issue is ugly and not getting any better.

Hey, VolvoGirl. I didn't answer any questions wrong and neither did a huge number of other people, but TT negligently entered various amounts in Line 30 that have created major problems for many people. 

You are so wrong that your answer is ridiculous. The first and second rounds were dispersed in 2020, weeks or months before filing time. I don't know where your brain is at, but you may be calling the latest round of Stimulus payments the "second round" which has nothing to do with what we are discussing. The current round of Stimulus payments is the third round. If there are going to be problems with that one, it won't happen until we file our 2021 income. By the way, nobody "may have entered the amounts you already received wrong or got the second Stimulus payment after you filed" unless they answered No to one of the questions. That is not the point of this topic. If you answer Yes and Yes, Line 30 should be zero. Period. NOT $1200 or $600 or $500 or some other random number. Let's all try to pay attention and get it right.

Definitely a glitch just got off the phone and walked through it with turbo tax all they offered was an apology and 2900 dollar less return 

I also had $1700 entered by TT into line 30 after answering the questions to complete my return. Since I have read you should not have a number there unless you are requesting stimulus money you are owed. After getting no where with the IRS I called a TT representative, she had no idea what I was talking about regarding early filers having issues with the software glitch. She told me to amend my tax return on the 25th which I have come to find out is a terrible idea and would increase the wait time for my refund. So thanks to Turbotax I have no refund and no stimmy. 

Volvogirl you must work for this company, you are defending them on another post too.

This is absolutely true. I was also an early filer and I had to enter the amounts I received to proceed with the filing.  So the refund amount was higher than the IRS calculations.  I just received an update saying they adjusted my refund less the amount I had entered on line 30.  Complete BS.  Holding up my refund for a glitch.  

Hey Gharddog03. Join the club. The good news is that you will eventually get through IRS and receive your reduced income.

I came up with a good business idea for Intuit - They could start up a partner company that will advance you your refund and only charge you 30% of the amount of your refund. Of course, if IRS reduces your refund amount you would still have to pay interest on the original TT refund amount... Cheers.😀

vbechtol

This happen to me as well shorted me 1000 which I need! has anyone heard if they will fix it or how to fix it?

vbechtol

how did you get help?

Can you imagine the millions in interest that they made by delaying taxes. Turbo tax should at the minimum waive the fees for next year, several people will not be using them anymore. 

I didn’t...taxes still processing and all I got was a sorry for my inconvenience.With a child and a mortgage 

@vbechtol  Unfortunately, when the IRS corrects your return, that IS the fix. The TurboTax software programmers obviously made a mistake in their coding which caused the information that you provided about the EIPs to be entered inline 30 making it like you were actually owed that money when you weren't. When you completed your return and it gave you specified amount, it was incorrect. Due to this glitch, code error.. whatever you want to call it, if the IRS determines you were not actually owed that money, that's the final word. You are not entitled to the extra $1,000 that TT claimed you were entitled to. I wish there were some way to hold the programmers of the software accountable but unless someone with an extremely savvy lawyer, a lot of free time and money to start a class action lawsuit steps up, this is all we have. A forum to b*tch and complain about the carelessness of these tax prep agencies.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies