Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

As my previous post state, Efile for amended returns is only available for the current year. You must paper file amendments for prior year returns. 

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hrg1
Level 3

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

Yes @CatinaT1, we did see your previous post. However, it does not address the current concerns being expressed, namely:

- This is an extremely frustrating problem that for some of us means finding a printer to print out very long returns to then pay to mail return receipt requested.

- All information previously posted (i.e. when we paid for the software) indicated that it was possible to e-file an amended return with the desktop version. As such, customers feel mislead, and some are searching for other software options for their future returns.

- This seems to be a simple bug that could easily be fixed by Intuit/TT. The IRS does not prevent electronic filing of amended returns after the close of the original calendar year.

- If it is a bug, can this be communicated to Intuit/TT so they can escalate the fix to this seemingly simple bug? And can we hear from Intuit/TT as to the expected time frame of a fix?

- No one from Intuit/TT has indicated whether it is a bug or an intentional "feature," and whether, if a bug, it is a simple or complex bug to fix. If it is an intentional feature, it seems arbitrary and/or callous on the part of Intuit/TT. Again, no official explanation has been put forth either way.

So while we appreciate your reiterating your previous post stating, essentially, "It can't be e-filed after 12/31, so just print it and mail it," can you address the aforementioned concerns and questions?

Thank you.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is not a bug, it is simply something that is unsupported by TurboTax.

hrg1
Level 3

Thank you @CatinaT1 for your response.

Putting aside the thoughts many might be having of "I paid for a program that said it could do this," or "Well that seems arbitrary and, frankly, a little lazy on the part of Intuit/TT," you have at least answered the question of whether this was a bug that might be fixed. Now a small segment of TT customers (those reading this thread) can now comparison shop for alternate software knowing that TT does not support e-filing amendments after the end of the original calendar year, and has not stated that they ever will.

If there is any way you can communicate the frustrations expressed in this thread to someone in a position to listen and with the ability to have Intuit/TT consider changing it's policy on this matter, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

When you say it will support this year. 

Does it mean this year 2023 desktop SW will support filing amendment after December 31, 2024? Or it's going to be the same story as 2022 where it will end the support after December 31st?

I bought this year's SW about a month ago, still hasn't filed my taxes. So, I would like to understand, as I still have an option at least for this year to find a different solution. 

CatinaT said......As my previous post state, Efile for amended returns is only available for the current year. You must paper file amendments for prior year returns. 

Current year means you can amend  the current year (like  2023) until efiling is closed for the year, usually in mid Oct.  Then 2023 will become the prior year.  So no you won't be able to efile a 2023 return after October.  Unless they change what years they allow to efile.  

broaduca

Hello, 

I get it, you guys are adamant about not being able to e-file a previous year amended return, but the desktop version is stating something different for Ga. 

Screenshot 2024-04-09 162420.png

Says the same for me in CA. It says I can e-file but it doesn't let you....did everyone in this thread end up mailing theirs in since TT is incompetent?
tt amend.png

After pressing Continue on this screen, I get stuck on another screen to finalize the e-filing for amendment. It won't let me press Continue to move on

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The annual e-filing program for do-it-yourself software users ended last fall. 

The open season for e-filing 2023 returns began January 29, 2024, and will end again the fall.

You can still prepare prior year returns in TurboTax, but they would need to be printed and mailed.

If you need to prepare and file a tax return from a previous year, login to TurboTax to download and install TurboTax software. The program will walk you through the steps to prepare, print and mail your 2021 or 2022 taxes. 

To prepare a state return within TurboTax you will first need to prepare a federal return as your federal tax information will flow into the needed state forms. 

If you already have the Desktop version for the previous years (Deluxe & above) they include one free state program.  Your free state is available after you update the software (Online menu, Check for Updates), then click on the State Taxes tab and you should see your state.

See here to purchase prior year tax products if needed.

See this help article for more information and links.

@MonikaK1  does your response mean the following section on the irs.gov website is incorrect?

"Can I file my amended return electronically? (updated January 5, 2024) Yes. If you need to amend your Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, or 1040-SS/PR for the current or two prior tax periods, you can amend these forms electronically using available tax software products."

I am trying to amend one tax credit on my 2022 return, and I share the frustrations others have stated on this thread (e.g., printing more than 100 pages, sending via unsecure snail mail, etc.)

an amended return should not be 100 or even 10 pages if amending a tax credit.  Closing e-filing of amended returns is a Turbotax decision. 

the 1040-x

the tax form for the credit 

and if needed the form the tax credit flows to 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies